VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey everyone,

I am running into an audio issue with my Elgato Video Capture Card. The PC I am attempting to capture from is a Dell Inspiron 530S that has been 3 GB of RAM and has been upgraded to Windows 10.
    The device is plugged into the USB 2.0 ports in the front of the PC.

The issue currents when attempting to capture a tape using the "High Resolution" setting. When this option is checked, the audio will become extremely choppy to the point where the footage is not usable. When the high resolution option is unchecked, the audio is fine, but the video quality is subpar.

I have updated the PC to the latest Windows 10 version, have updated the PC drivers as well as created a new admin account. (As suggested by Elgato support).

Any thoughts at all on what the issue may be?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need more computer horsepower. The 530s just isn't enough.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    There is no hi or low resolution for capturing analog video, There is only one resolution and that is 720x480 for NTSC and 720x576 for PAL/SECAM. What software are you using to capture?
    Quote Quote  
  4. One can capture standard definition analog video at 352x480 or 352x240 (352x576 or 352x288 PAL). That could be the difference between a good cap and a bad cap with a Core 2 Duo era computer. Especially without compression.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I'm guessing he is capturing to 1080i or 720p, Some software like OBS do those stupid things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    One can capture standard definition analog video at 352x480 or 352x240 (352x576 or 352x288 PAL). That could be the difference between a good cap and a bad cap with a Core 2 Duo era computer. Especially without compression.
    352x480/576 is not a bad resolution for VHS sources. But I'm not aware of anything that would give Elgato that ability. Most 352x480 is reserved for MPEG cards like ATI AIW and Hauppauge PVR PCI, maybe some Matrox and Canopus MPEG/DV. I think dellsam/latreche is correct, OBS and using HD (wrong!) resolutions.

I don't see how Core 2 Duo would affect anything. We were all capturing 720x480 lossless over 20 years ago, with small IDE drives and single-core P4 CPUs.

Windows 10 is a monkey wrench, so many cards don't work properly anymore, or at all.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    There is no hi or low resolution for capturing analog video, There is only one resolution and that is 720x480 for NTSC and 720x576 for PAL/SECAM. What software are you using to capture?
    I am using the software downloaded from the Elgato website. Capturing at 720x480 NTSC outputting as a MP4 file. I do have another Windows 10 Pro PC that the card (with default software) runs perfectly on.

I understand there is no high or low res resolution, but when using using this option the video with 3 or 4 other VCRs the quality don't seem to be better/sharper. The Windows 10 Pro PC is running with 8 GB of RAM as well.
    Last edited by JasonQuinn1992; 21st Mar 2022 at 09:26.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Use AmarecTV or vdub and encode later to mp4. Or just use the computer that works.
    Quote Quote