VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a progressive with kam effects, can i transfer it back to interlaced video?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by anonymoustly View Post
    I have a progressive with kam effects, can i transfer it back to interlaced video?
    Maybe, it depends on what you mean by "kam effects" , and what kind of interlaced video.

What is the background information ? What scenario is this ?

If you want real interlaced video, real interlaced content - you need to start with progressive at 59.94 fps (or 50 fps for PAL 50Hz areas)

You can also have progressive content encoded as fields, by repeating fields
    Quote Quote  
  3. no it is 29 fps video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by anonymoustly View Post
    no it is 29 fps video.
    Then there's no point unless you need to encode for an interlaced-only system.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by anonymoustly View Post
    I have a progressive with kam effects, can i transfer it back to interlaced video?
    Kam effects? Do you mean combing?
    If the video was originally interlaced and has not been vertically resized, you can try to separate the fields and re-encode it interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
  6. How do i do that? Do you know a converter?
    Quote Quote  
  7. here it is, and i get Output file #0 does not contain any stream in FFMPEG every time.

Want it to a interlace 60 fps file. (without deinterlacing)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. The video was vertically resized without consideration for the interlacing. That has caused the two fields to blend together. It will not be possible to fully restore them, at least not easily. Also, that was not originally interlaced video but rather 25 fps progressive. It was telecined to 30i and mangled.
    Quote Quote  
  9. comes from VCR NTSC, RCA to HDMI converter, connected to Hauppauge HD PVR rocket.
    But what can i do?
    Quote Quote  
  10. get a better capture card
    Quote Quote  
  11. capture new and this time without conversion in between, just straight native output of NTSC VCR to capture card and please set the correct settings needed for NTSC in the capture program, otherwise the newly captured file will also be "bs"
    Quote Quote  
  12. What is "bs", bull sh*t?

Conversion in what? Framerate? Resulution? Compression, it think NO uncompressed that takes more than 100 GB for 1 minute of movie??? There is a Composite to HDMI converter who already do convert it to a progressieve format.

The only other input is a S-video, but do not have a cable for that. Have buy today a RCA to S-Video adapter.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yes, it is.
    Just use the right parameters for NTSC or PAL (resolution, framerate, interlacing, ...) and don't put any "stupid" device between vcr and capture device. All analog to HDMI converters are "bs" for capturing. Just use native signals from VCR and capture them the direct way. Then you don't have any issues.
    Since it is SD, I doubt it will be 100GB per minute, but I would use a codec which is suitable for non linear video editing. Then compress the big file after you edited the video in your NLE to AVC or HEVC. But keep interlacing in the compressed file, don't deinterlace it. Best is to deinterlace during playback.
    Quote Quote  
  14. That very difficult almost every video converter compress it to progressive video this days. Almost every DVD burning program convert them to progressive.
    Uncompressed SD NTSC is more than 3 times blu-ray bitrate, let we do not talk about uncompressed 1080p or 4K.

<><><><><>

Uncompressed video has a constant bitrate that is based on pixel representation, image resolution, and frame rate:

data rate = color depth[a] × vertical resolution × horizontal resolution × refresh frequency
    For example:

16-bit, 480i @ 24 fps: 16 × 640 × 240[b] × 24 = 58.9 Mbit/s
    24-bit, 480p @ 30 fps: 24 × 640 × 480 × 30 = 221 Mbit/s.
    24-bit, 720p @ 30 fps: 24 × 1280 × 720 × 30 = 663 Mbit/s.
    24-bit, 720p @ 60 fps: 24 × 1280 × 720 × 60 = 1.32 Gbit/s
    24-bit, 1080i @ 60 fps: 24 × 1920 × 540 × 60 = 1.49 Gbit/s.
    24-bit, 1080p @ 60 fps: 24 × 1920 × 1080 × 60 = 2.98 Gbit/s.
    24-bit, 4K UHD @ 60 fps: 24 × 3840 × 2160 × 60 = 11.9 Gbit/s.
    24-bit, 4K UHD@ 120 fps: 24 × 3840 × 2160 × 120 = 23.8 Gbit/s.
    48-bit, DCI 4K @ 144 fps: 48 × 4096 × 2160 × 144 = 61.1 Gbit/s.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In your calculations, you completely forgot that most video formats on tapes, and many if not most codecs, use a YUV color space, and a chroma subsampled one, at that. And most SD video was interlaced (certainly analog).

This means 12bit (if 4:2:0) or 16bit (if 4:2:2) instead of 24bit (if 4:4:4 YUV or RGB).

So, 12 * 720 * 480 * 30** = ~125Mbps or ~933 MB/minute or ~56GB/Hr for 4:2:0.
    And uncompressed SDI is 227Mbps. That is the gold standard for SD material. Hardly 100GB per minute.

You have been given good suggestions on how to better your quality. It's up to you whether you follow them are not. They do require you improve your equipment and workflow. Maybe it is worth it to you, maybe not. But those excuses and diversionary responses don't add up.

** (Should be 29.97, but this is close enough for example)

Scott
    Quote Quote