VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Maybe can create someone some captures/photo's fron NTSC and PAL from same movie??

first is ofcource NTSC.
    [Attachment 63873 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 63874 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Those pictures are not representative of the quality difference between PAL and NTSC. They both have about the same horizontal resolution. PAL has more vertical resolution, 576 lines vs 480 lines for NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. and what is well-being representative?

First is from NTSC VHS second from PAL VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Neither picture is good enough to show the difference since they are static and are just jpg,best to show a video clip of the commercial dvd of ntsc and pal.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You cannot compare apples to oranges, The cassettes are not recorded from the same source or film strip and maybe not even from the same generation copy, it's hard to tell. But if PAL and NTSC are recorded from the same source you wouldn't tell them apart. I have a VCR that records natively in PAL and NTSC and had recorded from digital sources in both PAL and NTSC the same contents and both looked the same.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, I think there are differences based on the technology. Probably the most obvious for static pictures would be the vertical resolution of 576 (PAL) vs 480 (NTSC), which - depending on the source quality - would make the PAL variant look sharper (more detailed). There are also differences in the color processing and temporal resolution.
    However, none of these should make the visual difference as high as shown in the OP's pictures. Are these taken from DVDs or TV captures? Zoomed?
    The deifference could also come from a poor PAL->NTSC conversion.
    Last edited by Sharc; 19th Mar 2022 at 03:40.
    Quote Quote  
  7. HD source (HDMI cable) files comes from cable HD receiver, then HDMItoAV receiver (if do directly don't get picture because signal is PAL)
    [Attachment 63884 - Click to enlarge]
    , then composite in to av in.
    VCR is Zenith VRD210, Tape is Sony suitable for PAL (don't know this is a problem)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Main problem with NTSC is the colour processing, it isn't without reason that it used to be known as Never Twice the Same Colour.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    Main problem with NTSC is the colour processing, it isn't without reason that it used to be known as Never Twice the Same Colour.
    Can you explain that? (picture maybe)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by anonymoustly View Post
    Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    Can you explain that? (picture maybe)
    See for example the chapter "Comparative Quality" here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC#Color_encoding
    Quote Quote  
  11. that is text, i search for pictures.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by anonymoustly View Post
    HD source (HDMI cable) files comes from cable HD receiver, then HDMItoAV receiver (if do directly don't get picture because signal is PAL)
    [Attachment 63884 - Click to enlarge]
    , then composite in to av in.
    VCR is Zenith VRD210, Tape is Sony suitable for PAL (don't know this is a problem)
    That is probably the problem. There should be very little difference between native NTSC VHS and PAL VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Exactly, Those $2 Chinese fake adapters that no one knows how they process video inside, they could be processing to PAL and converting it to NTSC on the fly if NTSC switch is selected, I will dig up some PAL and NTSC captured recordings I made using Aja professional A/V converter and post samples.
    Quote Quote  
  14. As far as picture quality i'd rather get ntsc tapes (for hollywood movies for instance) ,it may be known as never twice the same color but if captured properly it's easily fixable. Pal can have hanovers colors bars (also fixable) and the audio pitch issue, it's true it's sharper though. Anyway my point being; if the movie was made in UK i'd take Pal over ntsc, and vice versa
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote