VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I'm at a loss regarding an issue I have with a client and the subtitles I'm providing to him:

he says that, on revision, the final bracket "]" is deleted on all reactions (for example [glass breaks ; no bracket). The way he told me about this problem got me scratching my head, but so far I can only think of one reason:

I try to send him the files in .srt since it's a format I never have issues with, and he has no problem with the subs being that format either. This particular time (when he told me final bracket got deleted, I sent him a SoftNi .sun format, which he always works with. The problem I have with this format SoftNi is that text in brackets "[]" for some reason gets changed to italics "<i></i>". So for example, [glass breaks] would turn into <i>glass breaks</i>.

My guess is that, during the revision process, the brackets (turned into italics) are "lost in translation", with the different software that the teams uses, and the <i></i> are instead interpreted as italics. That's the only reason I can think of, regarding why my client says the final brackets gets "deleted". Mind you, I've been explicitly told that reactions should be in brackets, not italics, since we're using Netflix's guidelines for subtitles.

Should I be using another subtitling software (I use Subtitle Edit, it should be obvious I can't afford $2000+ professional software...) to avoid having issues with my client? Or should I simply make sure I always send him .srt formats. Or there's a chance the problem isn't on my end.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what the heck is "on revision" mean? and, just go back to srt if it works for you both!
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    what the heck is "on revision" mean? and, just go back to srt if it works for you both!
    Quality control, basically. I work for a company as a freelancer and my subtitles are sent to quality control before they actually make it to the client. The "client" I was talking about in my post, is actually my boss of said company, not the client per se. I just named my boss as my client, to simply things a bit.

Yeah I think I'll just insist on sending him things on SRT. Maybe they won't have as many issues that way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whilst it should make no difference, maybe you should try normal round brackets '(' ')' rather than square ones '[' ']'
    Quote Quote