VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have multiple videos with English subtitles.

For example, I want to listen how to pronounce "Pencil".

For example 72. video has "Pencil" word in "13:25". I want to go directly "13.25" time in 72. video. Then, 83. video...

I can do this with searching subtitle files, look timestamp. But it is not practical.

Any way to do achieve this? I am open to all video player software. Vlc, Pot, etc..
    Quote Quote  
  2. AFAIK only advanced NLEs like Avid and Premiere have this kind of functionality at the moment. (Avid with ScriptSync and PhraseFind, Premiere with its surprisingly good AI transcodes and captioning.) But don't worry. YouTube is moving into this space, so something like it should become increasingly available.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    AFAIK only advanced NLEs like Avid and Premiere have this kind of functionality at the moment. (Avid with ScriptSync and PhraseFind, Premiere with its surprisingly good AI transcodes and captioning.) But don't worry. YouTube is moving into this space, so something like it should become increasingly available.
    I think you misunderstood me.

I have vtt, srt files. Not necessary AI transcodes and captioning. I want to only search string in vtt, srt files. and after found "word", click timestamp and go video and video's part.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I did understand you. I'm saying for now that kind of functionality is only available in advanced NLEs. Sounds like a good project for someone though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Wikipedia has the pronunciation for pencil...

If you want to open different video files at timestamps, you could create a playlist and add entries to it as you go.

Alternatively, a command line player such as mpv can be used to directly open a video at a timestamp.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You already have all the tools in front of you.

1. Video file in media player that supports time-based seeking.

2. subtitle file, supposedly synced to video file.

put the sub file in a sub editor, and read the timecode for the sub that shows "pencil".

type that timecode in the seek of the video player. play it. DONE.

repeat ad nauseum.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Subtitle edit will let you search for text in the subtitles and then play the video at that position (not the word but the start of that sub). Find the word (Ctrl+F), double click on the sub line, press the play button.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I kind of figured there was an even quicker way to do it, but I was allowing for more generic options in case the OP had a preference.

Good to know subtitle edit can do all that within the one app.

Scott
    Quote Quote