VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello. I have recently moved to windows 10 pro x64, huge mistake, single worst OS in existence bar none but I digress.
    The issue thats relevant here is that so far it is impossible to watch videos. Potplayer is my go-to, I used it windows windows 7 with madvr and various audio filters, namely ac3filter and ffdshow for my surround sound system and admittedly had some hiccups but in the 5 days I have had windows 10 I have had more crashes, freezes and errors than in countless years on 7, so far in fact windows 10 has not been able to play any video of any format via any media player for more than 2 minutes without crashing
    And when I say crashing I mean hard crash, program stops responding, it is stuck on the screen and I cant alt+tab out of it, cant alt+f4, cant open task manager, 9 times out of 10 it just hangs and I am forced to restart the entire computer the other 1/10 I am able to get an error but it isnt particularly helpful

" Unhandled exception potplayer64.dll

additional exception information has been stored locally and this application will be terminated"
    But when I go to the "Daum\PotPlayer\Log" folder it is empty and there are no logs to give any further information

I have done some reading around and this is apparently a common issue with windows 10? The only posts I could find where people had any success fixing it was people who said they removed " EVGA Precision software " but I dont have and never have had that installed. I have tried using some filters like LAV and ffdshow and tinkering around with their setings just to see, but didnt matter if it was a fresh default install of potplayer or I had filters added, no matter what, this system has been unable to play videos since "upgrading" the OS

A fresh install of windows 10 pro x64
    Nvidia drivers up to date
    Display drivers up to date
    HD audio drivers up to date
    yet even with default installs of potplayer, vlc, mpc-be, mpc-hc and even using windows media player I am still unable to watch a single full video.

I have done some quick searching around on my own before opening this thread but most of the stuff I found was posted between 2015-2019, is there something that I am missing? maybe there is an obvious fix that I have not stumbled on in my own searching?

Thank you
    Last edited by HelpPlease; 11th Mar 2022 at 16:21.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's not Windows 10 that's a fact. Do you have any exclamations in device manager? are Windows sounds playing? What is your processor? memory and hard drive size? Do you have audio on Youtube?
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Pot Player works for me. I'm not using madvr. I think I may have installed LAVFilters to get some things working.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    It's not Windows 10 that's a fact. Do you have any exclamations in device manager? are Windows sounds playing? What is your processor? memory and hard drive size? Do you have audio on Youtube?
    I am sorry but it is a fact that it is windows 10. Not saying it affects 100% of people, but as I said this problem has been around for years. you google something like "windows 10 video player unhandled error" and you get page after page after page of people from all over this world, it has been an issue for all kinds of people, from all over the globe, on all kinds of systems, for years, forums in english, spanish, countless threads/questions on microsofts own websites too. The one commonality across all of it is the OS, because that is where the problem comes from

No, no errors shown in device manager and everything is up to date
    Yes, i have sound, I can watch videos in browsers, listen to music in musicbee, play games with no issue, it is solely video playback programs that dont work
    ryzen 7 1700x
    32gb DDR4 3200 RAM
    1080ti
    1tb samsung evo m.2 drive + wd blue 4tb hdd
    Last edited by HelpPlease; 12th Mar 2022 at 05:08.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Pot Player works for me. I'm not using madvr. I think I may have installed LAVFilters to get some things working.
    Thank you, if you are not on the latest version would you mind telling me which you are on? Maybe thats something I can test out also
    Quote Quote  
  6. My guy, if you Google " Pot Player unhandled error" you will also get hundreds of results with people getting the same error. It doesn't mean that Pot Player itself is the issue. Saying "windows 10 is the error" doesn't help you. If that's the case, just install Windows 7, 8.1, 11, Linux or whatever you had before.

I am putting it to you that if Windows 10 couldn't play 2 minutes of video it wouldn't be the most installed OS on Earth (by a HUGE margin).
    Your issue is either
    1. Hardware or 2. Software
    Since your browser is playing videos fine, it's probably your codec configuration.

I am going to offer some controversial advice (re:codec packs):
    • uninstall Pot Player
    • install K-Lite Codec Pack (Mega or Full for MADVR) and also let it remove whatever codecs you have installed.
    • make sure and opt out of any ads or offers during install
    • download a fresh copy of Pot Player, install it, and try playing videos now.
    • also try playing videos with the included Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC)
    Last edited by blud7; 12th Mar 2022 at 05:10.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by blud7 View Post
    My guy, if you Google " Pot Player unhandled error" you will also get hundreds of results with people getting the same error. It doesn't mean that Pot Player itself is the issue. Saying "windows 10 is the error" doesn't help you. If that's the case, just install Windows 7, 8.1, 11, Linux or whatever you had before.

I am putting it to you that if Windows 10 couldn't play 2 minutes of video it wouldn't be the most installed OS on Earth (by a HUGE margin).
    Your issue is either
    1. Hardware or 2. Software
    Since your browser is playing fine, it's probably your software and most likely codec configuration.

I am going to offer some controversial advice (re:codec packs):
    • uninstall Pot Player
    • install K-Lite Codec Pack (Mega or Full for MADVR) and also let it remove whatever codecs you have installed.
    • make sure and opt out of any ads or offers during install
    • download a fresh copy of Pot Player, install it, and try playing videos now.
    • also try playing videos with the included Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC)

why are you guys so offended on behalf of microsoft? if a widespread problem exists regardless of software, regardles of hardware, regardless of video format, regardless of audio codec, regardless of media player, and the problem happened solely after the introduction of windows 10, then it doesnt take einsten to realize that the one constance is the root cause. occams razor and all that

"I am putting it to you that if Windows 10 couldn't play 2 minutes of video it wouldn't be the most installed OS on Earth (by a HUGE margin).
    Your issue is either"
    this my guy, literally a none argument,
    1: since when does quantity equal quality?
    2: windows 10 is the most installed because its the most tyrannical for lack of a better word, it was initially released free and when not as many people as microsoft wanted took it because of how intrusive and bloated it is they started to sell it and forced it on people, they literally sabotaged windows 7 by removing existing/working drivers, they took down their windows 7 m.2 drivers, removed xbox controller drivers from windows update, they churned out xbox wireless controller adapters but didnt include windows 7 drivers on them, despite those drivers already being in exstence and used and did their best to remove any downloadable links to useful drivers for technology that was already supported and working without issue on 10. Windows 7 wasnt perfect and wasnt the most private OS ever but microsoft dont even pretend they arent recording everything you do anymore so they literally took down their own drivers, sabotaged their own OS, deleted countless downloadables from their websites and short of literal blackmail did everything in their power to force windows 10 on people so they can have more eyes and ears on more people. Windows 10 is not common because its good, its common because microsoft are so scummy they made it so for most people it is the only viable option since most people dont want to learn how to use linux
    3: Who said it affects 100% of people? just because you are not familiar with this problem, that does not erase literal years worth of threads of people all having identical isues, regardless of their systems and all being a result of windows 10.

If you like windows 10 and you like a system where you basically can never be the admin of your own "personal" computer and you like microsoft recording every mouse movement, every button push, every pixel on your monitor and saving it permanently on their servers while in return giving you the most bloated, unintuitive bug heavy OS since vista, more power to you, but you not liking my opinion on it, does not negate that that is the root cause of the problem. I put it to you that if it was not windows 10 there would not be tens of thousands of people using radically different hardware and software all experiencing the identical unexplained problem which they face solely since using windows 10, which is the 1 and only shared factor in the reports, in some of the microsft questions threads there are microsoft employees who all but confirm the problem is known by them because their suggestions have nothing to do with hardware, or software or media player, they tell people to tweak settings in the "optional features" panel because the problem comes from the specific OS

Thanks for your time,
    Last edited by HelpPlease; 12th Mar 2022 at 05:37.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm not offended and I don't mean to offend, but:
    Why not install some other OS then? If Windows 10 is your issue, then your problem is solved. Unless you have an axe to grind and just came here to rant.

Windows 11 is even more bloated than Windows 10. They may have multiple issues. But they can both play video.
    You need to shift your paradigm to see it.
    You hate Windows 10 because you can't get videos to play for some reason (and other issues as well) on your one machine.
    But I've personally played videos on several machines with Windows 10 installed. My work building has 60+ "tyrannical" Windows 10 machines all playing video.
    So have literally 1 billion other people. So Windows 10 is not your issue, simple.
    If 9/10 people can play video on their Windows 10 machine, that 1 guy has some other issue is what I'm saying. And statistically more like 9.9/10

Did you try my suggestion?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You don't need a codec pack, they cause more problems than they solve, uninstall all of them. You don't even need LAV filters. Reboot. Try VLC as it's codecs are all internal.

I'll repeat, it's not Windows 10, it's YOUR Windows 10 configuration.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am NOT a Win10 user but I will always try to get a solution to any problem I get before troubling this forum.

And ANY respondent can only relate if 'he' has had similar issues.

Take 'Potplayer' out of the search (since the software - which i do not use - provides all sorts of 'solutions'). and this is just one:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/unhandled-exception-has-occurred-in-your-application

But continue to scream at those who attempt to help you will not gain you any 'Brownie points'. Noone will know what else is installed in, even, your fresh install (and even a fresh Windoze install will invoke the most recent updates.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HelpPlease View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Thank you, if you are not on the latest version would you mind telling me which you are on? Maybe thats something I can test out also
    I have PotPlayer (64-bit) Version 220106 (1.7.21595) Build Date 12 2022012:47:15, which is not the newest but still quite recent.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I manage the computers and AV at a university and one of the core things our computers must be able to do smoothly and successfully is play videos. They do, and they are ALL either Win10 (mainly latest build) or MacOS (mainly latest build). 90%/10%. This amounts to literally HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of machines. And if the professors had issues with playback, I would know about it pronto.
    I hate to say it, but your issue is YOUR setup, as mentioned - hardware or software, or both. Or your settings. So if you want this fixed, instead of ranting about Win10, give us more details about how it is all setup.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 12th Mar 2022 at 10:55.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    You don't need a codec pack, they cause more problems than they solve, uninstall all of them. You don't even need LAV filters. Reboot. Try VLC as it's codecs are all internal.

I'll repeat, it's not Windows 10, it's YOUR Windows 10 configuration.
    I know the standard advice is not to use codec packs but I have been using K-lite for many years without issues for various reasons.
    I personally don't like VLC but as sum_guy said, it's all you need.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. But I do not think a codec paxk is the solution for the OP. If he had coec issues then he would not even get the quoted 2 minutes.

Actual debate about codec packs is not really relevant here.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Not that it's helpfull but I had VLC stuttering under Windows 10 home edition and installing k-lite codec pack solved the problem. Also try MPC-HC, it worked for me before and after the k-lite install.
    Quote Quote