VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Upon purchasing this AG-1980P a few months ago it ejected a couple tapes and then always played every tape there after. I have now played and converted 17 tapes and it has operated perfectly (except a whistleing sound in rewind), but again always plays perfectly. Suddenly sitting down to use today it ejects every tape I insert. I opened it up and it appears to take the tape to play but after a few seconds ejects every tape inserted. I used to be small time circut board level electronic technician but I am too afraid to mess with this since I have never worked on a VCR and I assume it is probably a mechanical problem. I have attached a video. If anyone has an idea if I can fix this. Otherwise I may not attempt in fear of doing damage.

PS: I only have 10 more 20 minute tapes to convert, after that all I want to do is sell this unit.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by coffeeboy; 11th Mar 2022 at 14:23.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a loose or broken capstan belt,look on the bottom to see if it's that way.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to figure out exactly where that is located I am not seeing a place for the belt. I know it's very visable in some vcr's, but I am not seeing it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Take off the bottom plate of the vcr,
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You probably need forum member/user deter, and about $500.
    Just let him fix this.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You know how many people mistaken this subforum for "VCR player" instead of "VR player"?
    Anyway, that needs to be taken apart and operate the mechanism manualy through all its satges to see what is blocking it, If it passes the mechanical test it could be a mode switch, If this is above your head it means you will need to pay someone to fix it or send the remaining tapes to a qualified transfer service.
    Quote Quote