VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. In Subtitle Edit or a player, an auto- generated caption I have from Youtube produced a useable SRT at least to begin with.
    The first problem I see is the start time needs correction. But more than that, lines of text complete _over_ the start of the text line. Is this a line break problem? Combine two short lines? Or is there another method?

I just don't know where to begin on such a problem. But I'm getting more familiar with using the audio wave form in SE to getting timings and such.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not quite sure what you're looking for.
    These are the .srt subs from a youtube video.
    The line break is \h is inserted, but then it seems you need to continue the text on a new line.
    The first example 6 continues along the same line on the screen. The second example 7 drops to a new line.

Code:
    00:00:43,996 --> 00:00:48,208
    And uh.. I'm just going to open the gate now\hand then I'm off. Today is going to be\h\h

00:00:48,581 --> 00:00:53,861
    Well, I think not much riding because today\h
    I'm riding to the capital of Costa Rica\h\h
    This is the video. The lines are within the first minute.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXBt3vFUbUg

If you download this 12 MB executable from github, extract it to a folder, then run the following command,
    you'll download the video (100 MB) from youtube with the subs as a separate file. It's a common practice.
    https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases/download/2022.02.04/yt-dlp.exe

yt.cmd
    Code:
    yt-dlp.exe "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXBt3vFUbUg" --no-check-certificate --write-sub --sub-format srt/vtt/ass/best --convert-subs srt -k -f 18 -o "%%(title)s.%%(ext)s"
    Exciting times.

Cheers.
    Last edited by pcspeak; 6th Mar 2022 at 15:42. Reason: The Grammar Police came knocking.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am no good at code and command line things. What I'd need is a merge command in Subtitle Edit so trhe line completes all in one:

Example here:
    00:00:42,840 --> 00:00:45,680
    is vernon knee passing backward to his

00:00:44,480 --> 00:00:50,320
    house tonight

00:00:45,680 --> 00:00:50,320
    that'll be a sacred and a sainted joy

00:00:50,640 --> 00:00:54,559
    it could be small joy for yourself if

00:00:52,480 --> 00:00:56,160
    you aren't ready with my wedding ring is

... where it says ' house tonight' could easily be added to the previous line.

I'll show it in an attachment made running Subtitle Edit...

I think Subtitle Edit also has 'unbreak' but I don't know how to use any
    of these features. Thanks for your patience with all my questions.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tinker over under sample.png
Views:	18
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	63696  

Last edited by loninappleton; 6th Mar 2022 at 18:40.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes it's doing it fairlly consistently but might be related to a stored line length setting which is too short. Just another idea from someone who has not used these things.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Subtitle Edit command: ' merge with line after' fixes the over/under. But it runs into the next line of dialog. Perhaps Subrtitle Edit has a different command in this regard. All this would be really painful to try anf fix line by line. No idea what to do next.
    Quote Quote  
  6. here is the corrected dialog just as example:

SARAH CASEY
    _coming in on right, eagerly._—We’ll see his reverence this place,
    Michael Byrne, and he passing backward to his house to-night.

It does make a lot of sense either way bit it's from a text book.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have overlaps in the time stream for the subtitles.
    The following line ends after the start time for line 4 and there would be an overlap.
    00:00:42,840 --> 00:00:45,680
    is vernon knee passing backward to his

Both of the following lines have the same finish time of 00:00:50,320 and I think, at some point, would display on the screen together.
    Over the top of each other?
    00:00:44,480 --> 00:00:50,320
    house tonight

00:00:45,680 --> 00:00:50,320
    that'll be a sacred and a sainted joy

I'm not sure what the fix is.
    Quote Quote  
  8. My face may be red on this one but we'll see.

I just remembered that the media and sub can be viewed as a Youtube URL. Mine is made as a Private project so maybe I'm the only one that can view it. It should provide a baseline.

I'll write back with any results.
    Last edited by loninappleton; 6th Mar 2022 at 21:47.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I took your advice and made some timing corrections and maybe I can get on with it. A fresh SRT download had the
    same error. Very peculiar for an automatic process. I can only think I hit something/stopped and started or had some keyboard interference on the timing.

After going to Youtube Create, I thought it would be easy to start it up and see the subs. at the URL generated by YouTube. CC was underlined-- but no text appeared. I had thought the video had them coded to it. No idea what to do about that.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to add to the plot.
    Of course, people do talk over the top of each other all the time.

person1.
    Smithy, have you been getting on with what your supposed to be doing.\h
    This company is not run for your benefit.\N\N

person2.
    I am! I am! Right now sir!

person1 could be part way through his little speech when smithy starts. 'I am!'

You would need to shift the dialogue of person1 up the screen to allow for the subtitles of person 2.
    Probably with 2 hard line breaks, subject to the amount of dialogue for person1.

Cheers?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've seen a lot of technique with subs placed at various parts of the screen, but this problem was/is a _problem_.

Some Japanese anime even show what the character is seeing on the street translated into
    English. But I'm not doing this in a studio.

I can't get the idea of what goes wrong in saving subtitles for CC display on Youtube. Only thing I can
    try which I may have failed to do is: after the video rolls for coding subs, hit "Save draft" before the "Done" box when
    doing the encoding procedures. All this seems to me extremely non- intuitive. I had one sample in
    my small collection at Youtube where the subs display on screen the way they should. But I wasn't writing
    down things frame by frame then. And I cannot see what's different.

What I did see in You Tube Creator is that when done correctly your YouTube video will display the subtitle dialog in a timeline window like the audio wavew form window in Subtitle Edit.
    Quote Quote