VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I realize that many commercial tools for authoring DVDs are going away, mostly due to how the industry is moving toward streaming. However, there are still uses for it. But also, if anyone has subscribed to Apple iTunes and bought a movie, you still get a similar presentation of menus, etc.

I see tools like Toast Pro (and their others) that seem like they provide some DVD authoring. But I'm interested in something more professional, for example some DVDs have a video background (with sound) loop, prior to navigating to the menu(s). The above streaming services also do this for some of their purchases. I want to learn how to do this.

I have access to plenty of tools, like Final Cut Pro (which has really, really basic dvd authoring stuff), Adobe Premiere, etc. etc.

I use MacOS Monterey, but if I need Windows, I can bring it up in a virtual machine -- but for the above, I would imagine that's unnecessary.

Can someone help me figure this out... pointers to reference, tools, even some tutorials that show how these are assembled?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by forrie View Post
    I realize that many commercial tools for authoring DVDs are going away, mostly due to how the industry is moving toward streaming. However, there are still uses for it. But also, if anyone has subscribed to Apple iTunes and bought a movie, you still get a similar presentation of menus, etc.

I see tools like Toast Pro (and their others) that seem like they provide some DVD authoring. But I'm interested in something more professional, for example some DVDs have a video background (with sound) loop, prior to navigating to the menu(s). The above streaming services also do this for some of their purchases. I want to learn how to do this.

I have access to plenty of tools, like Final Cut Pro (which has really, really basic dvd authoring stuff), Adobe Premiere, etc. etc.

I use MacOS Monterey, but if I need Windows, I can bring it up in a virtual machine -- but for the above, I would imagine that's unnecessary.

Can someone help me figure this out... pointers to reference, tools, even some tutorials that show how these are assembled?

Thank you!
    see dvd authoring tools here - https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/authoring-dvd
    dvd authoring guides - https://www.videohelp.com/author#3-6
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you.

In my search, I ran across some of these; many of which are no longer produced, being very old.

I don't have any friends in the video production biz, but I wonder what tools they are using for the professional overlays, etc. Could very well be, since I have Final Cut Pro, there are plugins I am unaware of.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DVDStyler is flexible regarding menu creation and navigation ccontrol.

On Mac you're limited to CBR encoding (In Windows VBR) so you could use eg Adobe Primiere to create DVD compliant files.

Also note that for MacOS Monterey bugs has been reported using DVDStyler version 3.2.1 and that version 3.1 works flawless.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I can run Windows applications in a virtual machine, if I need to.

I have Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere. I imagine the pros do this all (today) by hand -- the streaming services have similar menu presentations that are on DVD media, too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Most all of the better (pro) authoring tools are Windows-based. The ONLY pro Mac-based authoring tool that even made it to the somewhat modern era (Intel-based) is Apple's DVD Studio Pro (and using Apple's Compressor encoding app).
    Adobe's tools have for the most part been cross-platform, but AFAIK Encore, their main former DVD authoring app, was Windows only.
    Toast has never been more than a consumer app, whether they call it pro or not. (I know - I used to work with it on a regular basis for over a decade)

If you are talking Bluray, they are -ONLY- Windows-based.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. I believe Adobe Encore CS6 is available for MacOS. I still use it to author DVDs in Windows. It has options for transitions and motion menus as well as authoring the entire DVD. Since Adobe has moved on from CS6, it's now only available in the CS6 Master Collection.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get additional help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote