VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have the JimTab M18 Pro. Projector and I have a lot of DVDs that I used MakeMKV on to put them on My Hard Drive.

The Projector can Play MKV Files but it did not Play all of My MKV Files.

So I Converted them to MPEG 4. X 265 and they Play.

But I have the DVDs from the 70's TV Show Land Of The Lost.
    And I used MakeMKV on them to put them on My Hard Drive.

So I Concerted them as well to MPEG 4. X 265 but these do not Play on My Projector.

It Says Un Supported File.

Does anybody know why?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think we have gone over this before.

When some device says it supports a format, that doesn't necessarily mean it supports all variations of the format.

Mkv is a container that can contain a nearly unlimited variety of video codecs and audio codecs. You want to experiment and find out which subset of codecs are also supported. Most likely, it would include mpeg2, mpeg4-asp aka dvix/xvid, h264, and probably h265. That is for video, but there would be a similar subset for audio.

But that is not the end of it...
    Codecs like those, esp. h264 and h265 come in a variety of flavors, so they should be considered more like codec families.
    You would have to further experiment and see which "flavor" or Level and Profile it supports.

Once you do that, and then (re-)encode only to those Level & Profile subsets, you will have cracked the code and be making files you know will reliably play properly.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The manual for the projector should mention what limitations your MKV files must meet for the projector to be able to play them. Alternatively, you can use MediaInfo or another method to check the details for an MKV that the projector does play, and re-encode every MKV you want to use with the projector to match.
    Last edited by Ai Haibara; 20th Feb 2022 at 18:39.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I used MakeMKV on My DVD of the Movie Day Of The Dead.
    And it Plays good on the Projector because it can Play MKV Files.

Then I used MakeMKV on My DVD of the TV Show Land Of The Lost and it did not Play.

They are Both the same MKV Format and the Video CODEC is MPEG 2. and they are Both under 2. GB witch JimTab Tells Me they have to be.

I Thought maybe something was going on?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Something is going on.

But there is no way to know without further details, like Mediainfo readouts of the good & the bad clips.

Could be NTSC vs PAL, could be D1 vs lower rez, could be mpeg2 vs mpeg1, could be weirdness with a GOP, could be a difference of audio codecs...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ok I used MPEG 4. x 265 and Selected a Low Bit Rate to give Me the most Compression and the Video Plays.

So My Projector just needs Small Files.

So I am going to Convert My MKV Files to MPEG 2. because it is good Video Quality.

So I know if You use a Low Bit Rate You get Bad Video Quality but a Small File.
    If You use a High Bit Rate You get good Video Quality but a Big File.

So this is the Bit Rates I have to Pick from.
    what will give Me a Good Video Quality but somewhat good Compression?

I know if it is a Movie with a lot of FX You need a High Bit Rate

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Stop cutting a square peg to fit a round hole. Spend $50 on an Android Box that will play your files directly.
    Quote Quote