VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have had this camcorder for about a week or so and finding my way around it. Having had a panasonic camcorder before the menu is not unfamiliar to me but more extensive so takes a bit of learning . It definately needs the handle for several reasons the main one keeping the microphone away from the front so any "deadcat" hairs don't show. I have got a sennheiser MKE400 directional microphone My first thought were to attach to the handle cold shoe and plug into the camcoder microphone pickup port. Big mistake it gets disconnected as soon as the handle is fitted to the camcorder.

This had me puzzled then the controls on the handle were not set correctly problem solved. Or so I thought. Next was wanting to use another Microphone" stereo" this time and make use of the XLR ports on the handle

This caused an issue as not many stereo microphones can use or have cables for XLR ports, plenty of directional one do but not stereo, and also the cables are hard wired into the microphone unit anyway. Eventually I did find one the BOYA- SM80 has a detachable cable and is not a cross over version but has 2 horizonal movable heads, also power by 2x AAA batteries. I use a JEEUE 2XLR Male to 3.5mm TRS Stereo Y-Adapter Cable Breakout Lead which is also the right length and works well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4_28TQyvV0

Next is to do some field trials with it but the current weather conditions "storm" is preventing me
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your review, it's more camera than I need but if my budget and needs change this gives me a good starting point.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    Thank you for your review, it's more camera than I need but if my budget and needs change this gives me a good starting point.
    Glad you liked my quick review.

There were several other reasons why I went for this camcorder as well. Having had, admittedly fairly old Sandisk SD cards, fall apart I didn't want this to happen on my next holiday. So having 2 card slots using the second as a backup to me seems a good idea. Obviouly it does have things that could be improved the main on not being able to fit a filter on with that lens hood, it needs a purchase of another screw in hood to do that. Nowhere could I find a wireless remote control which is a nuisance ,thinking of using remotely for wildlife so as not to disturb. There is a wired one that can be fitted to a tripod handle which does help a bit but not ideal.
    The optical stablisation to my mind if far better than the Sony camcorder I had before and the "close" has a wider field
    of viedw or so it seemsMy other worry waas how good is the actual zoom. Most videos only show optical zoom. Well as far as I hav tried Digital zoom is not worth it, seems to have fous isues at a distance, but that may well be down to me. However Intelligent zoom, well decide for yourself with this I just took

https://youtu.be/P-1M5avI8YE

So quite pleased with that through a window

Bit more about me.
    I did work for BritishTelecom as a switchboard fitter and took early retirement and bought and ran a large boarding kennels and cattery (119 dogs/42 cats) until retired.
    having got the kennels , we shut down for a fortnight each year enabled my wife and I to travel extensively abroad.

. Countries include USA twice-Tunisia- Japan -China- Brazil-Argentina- Norway (going back there this year) Sweden- Russia- Germany- Latvia- Argentina- most of the countrues around the Med.sea- Italy -Greek islands- Carribbean countries to name but a few. This year covid permitting it is back to Norway then on to the Faroe Islands and on the Iceland.

Not bad for a guy who left school at the age of 15 with no qualifications back then.
    Last edited by realspeed; 22nd Feb 2022 at 04:38.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The zoom is quite good, especially for a through the window take. I like the 2 card setup as well.

Not bad for a guy who left school at the age of 15 with no qualifications back then.
    There are plenty of highly educated dummies in the world.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  5. In MOV format and set to setting F4 named stills another video mode ,grabbing a frame and making it into a photograph comes out quite well seeing it is purely a video camera
    My youtube channel to see more is Bazza1041 if you like please subscribe
    Last edited by realspeed; 22nd Feb 2022 at 04:51.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have had the HC-X1500 (no handle) for a few months and find this statement untrue
    Originally Posted by realspeed View Post
    Obviouly it does have things that could be improved the main on not being able to fit a filter on with that lens hood, it needs a purchase of another screw in hood to do that.
    I have a Hoya Protector fitted behind the Panny lenshood with no problems.

I am impressed with the camera. I changed from a Canon HF G30 which I was never altogether happy with, to a Fuji X-T3 for much better IQ, but missed the camcorder format and conveniences such as inbuilt ND filters. The HC-X1500 has everything I (think I) need and seems so have as good IQ as the X-T3. There are still settings I have not touched and maybe never will, but having assigned buttons to my favourite ones I am very happy with it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have a hoya UV filter and yes the hood may well go over it but the hood doesn't lock in, which is why I wrote about getting another hood, at least on mine it doesn't

I got the handle because the Gutmann deadcat on the Sennheiser MKE400 showed up in the videos if fitted to the camcorder top directly, or at least did on previous models. Also the further away the less camera sound it will pick up. Also it is easier to balance the microphones using the dials against doing it in camcorder

[Attachment 63509 - Click to enlarge]

Being one of the best wind deflectors I could find

Always interested in others points of view so thank you DeJay

OK just tried it not having done so before and and it doesn't look as if it shows, at least indoors but in the wind??.Yes it does

[Attachment 63510 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by realspeed; 22nd Feb 2022 at 09:40.
    Quote Quote  
  8. DeJay
    Can I please ask if you have any issues with the digital focus when at the max in 2x-5x 0r 10x zoom. Mine seems to go out of fucus in manual or auto mode at only half way zoom. I have done the upgrade from version 1.2 to 1.3. I.zoom no problems as shown in that video
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mine's a 62mm threaded Hoya Protector I already had and it just fitted. I admit I thought a filter would not go in the gap, but when I tried I was pleasantly surprised.

I have a Rode SVM with dead cat and have no problems with any hairs getting into frame, even at full wide.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "digital focus", so I'll tell you what I do. I have always used manual focus until now, but this camera is the first that has auto focus I can rely on so I am experimenting with it and rather like it. I always zoom before focusing, so what happens in your clip does not happen to me. There are three possibilities I can think of. First, the focus may not like shooting through a window, second the lens may not be parfocal and third, your auto focus speed may be set too slow.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I rejected the Rhode and many others due to the fixed crossover microphones and the 9v battery in the Rhode

digital zoom page 138
    link
    https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/hdw/oi/X2000/HC-X1500_X2000_DVQP2152YA_eng.pdf

I did have the I zoom speed set higher but will turn it down thank you for the pointer

Also now changed to auto focus, must of had it on another setting. AS you can tell ik am still in the learning stage
    Last edited by realspeed; 22nd Feb 2022 at 13:13.
    Quote Quote  
  11. What would be ideal would be to find a wireless remote control for it , not the Ipad thing that they suggest. JJC did one for the Sony and that is the type of thing I am trying to find
    Quote Quote  
  12. Where can I download more Scene Files for X1500?
    Now I am using the default SPARK Scene which is perfect for daylight but I need something else for night / low light on the streets
    A scene file is the best approach for the question I have below
    What setting should I make for Low Light on X1500?
    (So I have a ready-made video or, if not possible, just have a lot of info in Post Production, and the videos do not become ugly after I add a lot of light in the editor)
    (Workaround - I use Huawei P40 Pro Artificial Intelligence for night movies on the same 4k 60fps resolution as X1500)
    Quote Quote  
  13. I don't think there are any update scene files for this camcorder, the only update is to version 1.3.. low light is the drawback using a small sensor anyway. Even if you try to brighten the scene with editing you will get graining "noise" in the clip.
    Last edited by realspeed; 15th Mar 2022 at 07:50.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I have been scratching my head as to why if for example panning on a fence why the video had a slight stutter. Stupid me I didn't check the hertz of the Dell 4K monitor (60 hertz) against that of the panasonic HC-X1500. That was from the manufactures at 50 hertz , so I changed it to the alternative 59.9 hertz, closer to the monitor setting. Seems to have solved the issue
    So something not often mentioned i think

https://youtu.be/cxFQwMT5X-c

now a lot smoother pan now also since this I found a better setup in the menu for focus

ok only garden movies at the moment as i want to get it right away from home, so practice and trial and error then finding out where I am going wrong
    Last edited by realspeed; 15th Mar 2022 at 17:08.
    Quote Quote