VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Carry-over from the old thread https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/373611-Error-on-3DSubtitler

So what, if I'm part of a dying breed, with a nice 4K LG television set and still wanting to watch 3D movies, but with a hearing disability and dependent on subtitles.

I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 with 64-bit Java runtime jre-8u321 (Java 8) installed. so I reverted temporarily to 64-bit Java 7 and Java 6, and still got the same error. Therefore Java version isn't the cause of this annoying error. I'm sure that there's no formatting problem with the SRT subtitles, because they work successfully with a 2D version of the same video.

Investigating further, I tested several other valid SRT files, and proved that the line number XXX ("Invalid SRT file, error on line XXX") always turns out to be the final subtitle in each file. So it looks as if there's some sort of end-of-file detection bug that's no longer being handled by the Java code, independent of Java version, therefore presumably some change i te Windows environment (just a guess).

I hunted for the source code of 3D Subtitler but could not find it anywhere. (Even in desperation briefly investigated a couple of Java decompilers, with no success.) Can anybody else find the source code, the name of the 3D Subtitler developer, or anything else that might help?
    Last edited by NotesTracker; 21st Feb 2022 at 17:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Eventually I managed to resolve the problem, and can create 3D subtitles again. I spent quite a few hours on this, time that I will never get back, but at least now can watch the 3D version of the movie and understand what is being said.

It all came down to the error message being misleading. Instead of "Invalid SRT file" it should have stated "Invalid or missing setting(s)" or something like that. As I mentioned above, there was indeed nothing wrong with the SRT file. I found that the error arose because one of if the settings, the font name, was blank, and I had overlooked this time after time, silly me!

A criticism of the program's logic is that the error message displayed was completely wrong, and way off track, a major misdirection. It should have been "Font cannot be blank". It's a pity that the code isn't available so that it can be fixed. I haven't done any Java coding for decades, but would be willing to have a stab at it.

The lesson learned from this is that if you get any errors when running 3D Subtitler you should ensure that all you settings are valid, nothing more. nothing less.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    glad to know it works for you. i take srt files for 3d and add 40 "spaces" to each line to make them only display on the right eye. fixing proportional spacing problems was too hard in 3d.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi,
    I'm currently struggling to get 3D Subtitler working at all. However, you posted (2 years ago) that you managed to get it to work on 64-bit Windows 10.
    Can you tell me how? Because all I can find is that it doesn't work on 64-bit windows. It doesn't recognize that I do have Java Runtime installed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I really cannot remember exactly what I did two years ago, but since it seems to be caused by faulty or blank 3D-Subtitler setting(s) the very least I can do for you id is post a screenshot of my current settings.

I last used 3D-Subtitler a month or two ago, and it still works fine for me, so why don't you try using my settings and see how you go. Let me know what happens, either good or bad!

[Attachment 79021 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote