VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All,
    I’m always on the lookout for SVHS VCRs and Betamax players at thrift stores but they never seem to last too long. On one hand it’s great cause I’m only investing less than like 10 bucks each, but I now have a graveyard of players that are otherwise good models with varying issues. Are people generally paying to fix their units or looking for new ones? I found a local guy who still works on them but who knows how good he is and he charges $40 just to diagnose so I could be into a few bucks before anything is fixed and I have no idea how good this guy is. Curious to hear peoples thoughts on the issue!
    Cheers
    Ryan
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also browse endlessly for VCRs, on FB Marketplace, the local SAVERS, local Goodwill, anything I can drive to. Recently I found a listing for a JVC S-4800U, for $10.
    So I drove the 20 minutes to get it, and when I brought it home it randomly ate tapes.
    On the outside it is lovely condition, on the inside it just needed some attention, new grease, and calibration on a scope, and because it is a fairly high quality machine I sprang for the $130.
    Now I have a "brand new" very sweet 4800U for short money.
    What I'm saying is YES, fix your tape players, but it depends on the individual unit and what you paid and if you have a competent tech in your area. I do.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I guess it really just comes down to how competent my local guy is. I don’t mind ponying up some money to fix a player but I’d rather have it properly refurbished with all new wearable components as opposed to simply brought back up to just working condition. Also, let’s say I get a unit completely upgraded and such, are there “bad tapes” that if I were to try to play it again would totally screw up the player again? Or is that just part of the game in dealing with old media like that in that any tape could cause any player to chew it up at any time ? Lol. I think I’ll bite the bullet on one unit and see how it goes
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mold can muck things up.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What models are you considering repairs to?
    Quote Quote