VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also I, 75 years old, Dutch, do a lot with old video tapes (VHS, Video8, mini DV) from family, neighbours and friends.
    What I do is Capturing, Trim / Cut / Crop, so some editing (brightness, contrast, color) and burn it at a dvd.
    My family, neighbours and friends are content with their dvd's, finally they can see there own home movies again.

But I am not always content with the results, but don't know what to do, mainly when there is flickering / shaking like in a sample of in the attachment.
    The last weeks I have read and tried a lot with no results.
    I also read about de-interlacing, but how to see if a movie is interlaced?
    I have used Gspot and MediaInfo, but I understand, that shows not always the real situation.
    And now I have a movie where Type Scan is not in the list of details.
    At some posts I read, that the best way is using your eyes by analyzing frame by frame.
    But what do I have to see?
    I expect a frame with black lines, is that correct?

And then the possible restauration.
    Often I see in posts AviSynth, FFmpeg, Avidemux and so on, but I have no knowledge of this software.
    And perhaps even worse, all the options I see, for instance in Handbrake, I don't understand.

My Video
    ID : 0
    Format : JPEG
    Codec ID : MJPG
    Duration : 5 min 49 s
    Bit rate : 12.0 Mb/s
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 5:4
    Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.158
    Stream size : 500 MiB (89%)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. It was interlaced but you cropped away the head switching noise at the bottom of the frame and resized the height to 576 lines. That screwed up the interlacing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is, I don't have the captured file from the VHS tape at my backup, only the 4 parts by cutting the captured file (I think).
    The VHS tape has a length of more then 2 hours from my son at his last year at school in 1990.
    So I devided it in 4 parts: sept - dec , jan - jun , school camp and school musical.

Any (simple) solutions for the shaking?
    Or simply accept this, in some way it gives the feeling that I am looking at a video as if it is the VHS tape.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You need to fix your workflow because, as jagabo said, you have degraded the video.

1. If you must re-size (which I would advise that you NOT do), then you MUST deinterlace before resizing. I hope you still have the original capture. Go back and start over with that.

2. If the head switching noise bothers you, then simply crop it out, but do not resize. This avoids having to deinterlace. Remember, deinterlacing does NOT improve the video and, in fact, it always degrades it. You should only do it if you need to resize. No one is going to notice a slight black bar at the bottom of the video where you cropped out the noise. Even when re-sizing is done correctly, it will still degrade the video.

3. The jumpiness in the video can probably be eliminated by getting a time base corrector (TBC) or getting a VCR that has one built in. Also, some of it was introduced by the incorrect resizing.

4. I don't know if the sample you encoded is typical of what your videos look like on DVD, since DVD uses MPEG-2 compression, but your sample does have some pretty bad compression long-GOP artifacts. A higher bitrate or a better encoder can eliminate those.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I played with it a little bit in Hybrid, It needs to be re-captured for sure. Deinterlace before cropping and you will get a much better result.

https://files.videohelp.com/u/84671/sample.mkv
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  6. side note: you can clean up the combing artifacts with QTGMC(InputType=2)
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    side note: you can clean up the combing artifacts with QTGMC(InputType=2)
    I think that's what sum_guy did. Along with maybe EZDenoise=2.0 and DenoiseMC=true.

Another easy way to to eliminate it is to downscale to 1/2 height, then upscale back to full height. That can be done in most editors. In AviSynth it's a simple:

Code:
    Spline36Resize(width, height/2).Spline36Resize(width,height)
    But the video has other problems including severe blocking artifacts from over-compression. Hopefully that's just because of the way the OP created the sample.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Virtual Dub/Muksun Deinterlaced.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think that's what sum_guy did. Along with maybe EZDenoise=2.0 and DenoiseMC=true.
    Jagabo, You are correct, I don't think I could do any better with it, it's a real mess.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  10. mainly: QTGMC(InputType=2) + BasicVSR++
    Code:
    # Imports
    import os
    import sys
    import ctypes
    # Loading Support Files
    Dllref = ctypes.windll.LoadLibrary("I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/libfftw3f-3.dll")
    import vapoursynth as vs
    # getting Vapoursynth core
    core = vs.core
    # Import scripts folder
    scriptPath = 'I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsscripts'
    sys.path.insert(0, os.path.abspath(scriptPath))
    # Loading Plugins
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/ResizeFilter/nnedi3/vsznedi3.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/MiscFilter/MiscFilters/MiscFilters.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/GrainFilter/RemoveGrain/RemoveGrainVS.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/GrainFilter/AddGrain/AddGrain.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/DenoiseFilter/NEO_FFT3DFilter/neo-fft3d.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/DenoiseFilter/DFTTest/DFTTest.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/EEDI3m.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/libmvtools.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/temporalsoften.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/scenechange.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/fmtconv.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/SourceFilter/FFMS2/ffms2.dll")
    # Import scripts
    import havsfunc
    import chromashift
    import adjust
    # source: 'E:\clips\interlaced_cropped_saved_progressively.avi'
    # current color space: YUV420P8, bit depth: 8, resolution: 720x576, fps: 25, color matrix: 470bg, yuv luminance scale: limited, scanorder: progressive
    # Loading source using FFMS2
    clip = core.ffms2.Source(source="E:/clips/interlaced_cropped_saved_progressively.avi",cachefile="E:/Temp/avi_21c5f311468e5806ef8716ca6a520345_853323747.ffindex",format=vs.YUV420P8,alpha=False)
    # making sure input color matrix is set as 470bg
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip, matrix_in_s="470bg",range_s="limited")
    # making sure frame rate is set to 25
    clip = core.std.AssumeFPS(clip=clip, fpsnum=25, fpsden=1)
    # Setting color range to TV (limited) range.
    clip = core.std.SetFrameProp(clip=clip, prop="_ColorRange", intval=1)
    # adjusting color space from YUV420P8 to RGBS for vsBasicVSRPPFilter
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.RGBS, matrix_in_s="470bg", range_s="limited")
    # Quality enhancement using BasicVSR++
    from vsbasicvsrpp import BasicVSRPP
    clip = BasicVSRPP(clip=clip, model=3, fp16=True)
    # adjusting color space from RGBS to YUV444P16 for vsTweak
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV444P16, matrix_s="470bg", range_s="limited")
    # Color Adjustment
    clip = adjust.Tweak(clip=clip, hue=20.00, sat=0.80, cont=1.00, coring=False)
    # Chroma adjustment using ChromaShiftSP
    clip = chromashift.ChromaShiftSP(clip=clip, Y=2.88)
    # cropping the video to 712x576
    clip = core.std.CropRel(clip=clip, left=4, right=4, top=0, bottom=0)
    # Denoising using QTGMC
    clip = havsfunc.QTGMC(Input=clip, Preset="Fast", InputType=2, TR2=1, TFF=False, SourceMatch=0, Lossless=0)
    # adjusting output color from: YUV444P16 to YUV420P10 for x265Model
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV420P10, range_s="limited")
    # set output frame rate to 25.000fps
    clip = core.std.AssumeFPS(clip=clip, fpsnum=25, fpsden=1)
    # Output
    clip.set_output()
    there is still rool for improvement,... (especially the whole chroma layer is a mess)
    -> recapturing would be the best.

Cu Selur
    Image Attached Files
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    A recapture is a must, there is nothing can be done to it without degrading further, It is the best as it is unless you recapture the tape.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The capture of the VHS tape, I had to do that with a (old) analog capture PCI card (Pinnacle DC10+ and WinTV-HVR Multi-PAL) using Win-XP.
    I did this last year with VirtualDub.
    I shall ask my son for the VHS tape and try to do this again.
    Luckely I have still my PC with PCI slots.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yesterday I got a shoe box full with DV mini tapes.
    So now I do the capture of the first tape using Stoik as capture software with AVI as format.
    Or should I use WinDV or ????

And I understand as your advice : you MUST deinterlace before resizing.
    Is there some advice which (free) program I can use?

At this forum there is a Post : Best Method of De-interlacing Mini-DV AVI files.
    But as wrote before, I have no experience with AviSynth.
    Handbrake:
    I read at a website : HandBrake deinterlaces video slowly, quality is damaged after deinterlacing with HandBrake, etc.
    And googling, there more free programs, for instance Free HD Video Converter Factory.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can capture with whatever software will give you the proper aspect ratio, interlaced. I use AmarecTV or Virtualdub 1.10, I deinterlace with GTGMC, Hybrid has this function, Handbrake should work as well but, I don't think the deinterlacing is quite as good. Stay away from the Google video converters you find, most of them are terrible.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To "capture" Mini DV tapes into DV-AVI, ideally you need a Firewire PCI/PCIe card in your computer. You can then use WinDV. The process then is essentially to transfer the digital data from the tape to the computer in the form of DV-VI files.

If you don't have a Firewire card, then you're stuck with capturing your video as you do with your VHS tapes; use S-video from the MiniDV video camera to capture device if possible.

As far as de-interlacing goes, if you're making DVDs, you don't need to deinterlace because can be interlaced.

I'll let the floor advise re deinterlacing your videos for playing the files directly on a computer.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    .... I deinterlace with GTGMC...
    Is this a car?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    .... I deinterlace with GTGMC...
    Is this a car?
    Gran Torino from GMC.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tested the programs WinDV and Stoik.
    In the attachments the results of G-spot and MediaInfo.
    I hope the pictures are good visible.
    WinDV shows 4:3 and Stoik 16:9.
    Playing the files in VLV, I see the same video formats.
    I think, it has to do with the PAR : 16:15 (WinDV) vs 10:7 (Stoik)
    But why this difference and what is best.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gspot - WinDV vs Stoik.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	63416  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MediaInfo - WinDV vs Stoik.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	63417  

Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forgotten, in WinDV I could choose AVI Type 2 , in Stoik the options are greyed out.
    Quote Quote  
  20. At this forum there is a Post : Best Method of De-interlacing Mini-DV AVI files.
    But as wrote before, I have no experience with AviSynth.
    Handbrake:
    I read at a website : HandBrake deinterlaces video slowly, quality is damaged after deinterlacing with HandBrake, etc.
    And googling, there more free programs, for instance Free HD Video Converter Factory.
    free hd video converter factory sounds like a really bad program imo
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Again playing my samples with VLC, I have no sound with the sample AVI Type 2.
    So I captured a new sample with WinDV and AVI Type 1, and yes now I have also audio in my sample.
    Also tested some other capture programs.
    Exsate DV Capture Live -> same AR results as WinDV (5:4, 16:15, 4:3), but complex map structure
    Debut Video Capture -> to complex for me
    AmarecTV -> Errors

So, for me now 2 options : WinDV and Stoik.

Please your remarks / comments.

Here in Holland, it is evening, so I do a shut down of my PC and read it tomorrow, I hope.
    Quote Quote  
  22. The only correct way to put DV tapes onto your computer is to NOT use a capture card, but instead simply stream the bits to your computer via 1394/Firewire. For the capture software, many people do use WinDV, but I much prefer Scenalyzer.

Unlike analog tapes, the information on a DV tape is already digital so you are simply transferring those bits to the computer, and therefore there is no degradation. Scenalyzer is really good because it has so many capture options, and because it is, in my experience, bulletproof. You will need a 1394 connection in your computer, and ideally you want to have Windows XP, although I think Windows 7 still had drivers for 1394.

All of your 4:3 / 16:9 issues are trivial to sort out if you use Scenalyzer (the default is to automatically detect and do the right thing, which it always does correctly).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you have Qs about DV type1 vs. type2 just do a search on this site for some of the (exhaustive) posts I have made about it. (see that "ivas" and "vids" + "auds" - that means something important)

Upshot: Type1 = Good for old vfw apps and very low horsepower machines, Bad for most modern NLE apps. Type2 = The reverse, and likely the one you want.
    If type2 and you have no audio, your capture app is doing something wrong.

Regardless of the Display Aspect Ratio, your DV cam tapes ALWAYS store it as 720x576 (when in PAL format). The DAR is a flag, and which app respects and properly understands that flag is up to the app. Without evidence to the contrary (incl. visually, and that flag), the default is 4:3.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  24. This screenshot shows most of the options in Scenalyzer:

[Attachment 63426 - Click to enlarge]

Under the first "Capture Settings" heading you'll see "16:9 mode for captured video" and you will also see that I have it set for "Automatic." As I said in my previous post, I've not had it fail to do the correct thing.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnMeyer
    You will need a 1394 connection in your computer, and ideally you want to have Windows XP, although I think Windows 7 still had drivers for 1394.
    Firewire runs quite happily on Windows 10.

This will get the driver properly installed:

https://www.startech.com/en-us/faq/firewire-cards-windows-legacy-driver-swap
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I had read some articles about the IEEE1394 driver in W10.
    https://vhsconverters.com/install-firewire-card-windows-10/

I do the capturing at a PC with Asus P5QD motherboard.
    This board has a Firewire port, but with enabled in the bios, my capture software did not recognize this port, why, I don't know.
    So I had to install my capture card, recognized by the software.

The article is also describes to kinds of Firewire cable, 4 and 6 pins.
    My cable is 4 pins at camcorder site and 6 pins at PC site, looking at the pictures in the article.

Has this kind of cable something to do with AVI type 1 and 2?
    Or just the capture card I use now.

And yes, I have also tested yesterday Scenalyzer.
    But I can't remember, my short memory is not well anymore, why.
    I will test it again.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I had to install my capture card, recognized by the software.
    Do you mean a Firewire capture card recognised by Scenalyzer?

This board has a Firewire port, but with enabled in the bios, my capture software did not recognize this port, why, I don't know.
    Check the motherboard Firewire shows in the Device Manager, dated 2013 (if say 2006, update the firewire driver as per the website you linked to above, or as per my link at Startech above):

[Attachment 63429 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 63430 - Click to enlarge]

Has this kind of cable something to do with AVI type 1 and 2?
    No, the 6 pin CABLE is designed to carry power. The 4 pin cable is for video camera and other device connections which don't need/want power.

The AVI Type is set in the Scenalyzer capture settings (File>Options).

As per that website, it is normal to have a 6 pin socket on your computer (as per your motherboard and normally on firewire cards that are installed afterward) and a 4 pin socket on your video camera. So normally you'll need a 6 pin to 4 pin cable.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Downloading scenalyzer again, I remember the problems.
    I cannot download the version (portable) mensioned at this website, W10 blockes it as dangerous.
    Also not from some other websites.
    And after download of the English version at the website of scenalyzer.com I did not succeed in the key registration, copy and paste failure.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You mean this link
    It may consider it a security risk due to the missing https
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Odd. Another good, simple and "portable" DV capture program is WinDV.

Try downloading and running that. If that works, you can capture/transfer your DV as per my guide:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nAVLwAFDY6SCPWUQJ02zUCWVOKAZk-x-/view?usp=sharing

Scenalyzer does still work though. Maybe try again with the registering?
    Last edited by Alwyn; 20th Feb 2022 at 08:27. Reason: WinDV link changed to VideoHelp's for HTTPS (thanks Davex)
    Quote Quote