VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have several DFF files from a SACD iso. I'd like to convert these to wav or flac.
    I've read as much as possible about adding a component to FooBar which supposedly will convert them. But I haven't managed to get Foobar to accept them.
    The files I have are

foo_dsd_processor.fb2k-component
    foo_input_sacd.fb2k-component
    and 2 folders "flters" and "src"
    There's also a ReadMe but it's not much help, just saying Install foo_input_sacd.fb2k-component file and restart foobar.

I've tried Foorbar-Preferences-Components-Install and browsed to the 'sacd.fb2k-component file' but Foobar says (unknown - please apply changes to load)
    and I have no idea what this means or what to do next.
    Can anyone help ? Thanks. I don't have to use Foobar, anything that will convert the DFF files will do.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Change the extension ".fb2k-component" to .DLL.
    Copy or move those files to the "components" folder in the foobar2000 directory.
    Then run foobar2000.exe again and try to play a .DFF file.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 14th Feb 2022 at 10:18. Reason: add more info.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can use SoX from https://github.com/mansr/sox - DSD support added to this version, generally any DSD2PCM should do job (for example https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=37717.msg670067#msg670067 ).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies.. I stumbled onto the solution, which was blindingly obvious once realised.
    There's a "Apply" button.. it loaded the component files I'd dragged in. After which the DFF files load.

BUT - attempting to convert to WAV displays foobar2000 does not support DSD pass—through; the conversion will NOT be lossless.
    Steve Hoffman forum had a bit on this but it was way above me. I went ahead with the conversion anyway, then to flac - and then auCDTExt which reported the files are lossless.
    I also downloaded Sox and tried to tun it, but it didn't even produce any output ! Anyone used this and had better results?
    Last edited by kirkmc; 14th Feb 2022 at 16:44. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    Thanks for the replies.. I stumbled onto the solution, which was blindingly obvious once realised.
    There's a "Apply" button.. it loaded the component files I'd dragged in. After which the DFF files load.

BUT - attempting to convert to WAV displays foobar2000 does not support DSD pass—through; the conversion will NOT be lossless.
    Steve Hoffman forum had a bit on this but it was way above me. I went ahead with the conversion anyway, then to flac - and then auCDTExt which reported the files are lossless.
    I also downloaded Sox and tried to tun it, but it didn't even produce any output ! Anyone used this and had better results?
    Regular SoX doesn't support DSD even if patch was provided to main tree - SoX development stalled years ago - you need to compile SoX by yourself... (i have binary of SoX with DSD).

Give a chance to provided link - there is discussion on hydrogenaudio about software DSD2PCM (written by reputable developer - Sebastian Gesemann) - also there platform independent java version in first message of this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pandy that link would drive a sane person batty! And couldn't see any potentially useful download links.
    But thanks anyway, can leave it a that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    Pandy that link would drive a sane person batty! And couldn't see any potentially useful download links.
    But thanks anyway, can leave it a that.
    https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=37717.0;attach=5528

link to zip,

Tested also foobar (latest 1.6.10) with sacd plugin (1.4.7 with S-Audio_Systems_DSD_filter.zip) and it works fine (foobar has some issues mostly with visualization) -

it is up to you - foobar seems more user friendly...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/
    http://s-audio.systems/dsd-filter/?lang=en
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried the hydrogenaud link and ended up with dsd2pcm.exe 534KB) but clicking on it did nothing.
    I agree with you about foobar. And to a certain extent has worked, but with that message about being lossy.
    Have now downloaded the s-audio systems zip, and it has good instructions so will have a go. My Foobar is 1.6.2, will upgrade.
    What is the your 2nd link (sourceforge) for ? Is that something I need (the files already unpacked as .DFF)
    Can your system with what you describe convert them in fb without the lossy message ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    I tried the hydrogenaud link and ended up with dsd2pcm.exe 534KB) but clicking on it did nothing.
    Can your system with what you describe convert them in fb without the lossy message ?
    dsd2pcm.exe is a command-line application.

DSD is meant to be converted to analog audio by proper hardware.
    Sound cards don't support DSD, so it has to be converted to PCM and this conversion cannot be strictly-lossless.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 15th Feb 2022 at 02:48. Reason: grammar
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    I agree with you about foobar. And to a certain extent has worked, but with that message about being lossy.
    Have now downloaded the s-audio systems zip, and it has good instructions so will have a go. My Foobar is 1.6.2, will upgrade.
    What is the your 2nd link (sourceforge) for ? Is that something I need (the files already unpacked as .DFF)
    This is command line utility - so you need to write command and file names in commandline or write simple script so called batch to do this automatically for you.
    I think foobar is OK.
    Second link is plugin for foobar to decode and process DSD files. Works for me so it may work for you too.

There is no possible to remove this message ans DSD and PCM (FLAC) using completely different approach to deliver high quality audio - DSD use single bit (1 bit) with massive oversampling (64 times in original DSD to 1024 or higher in some DSD versions) - this means that DSD stream consist sequence of 0 and 1 and nothing else - on opposite side there is PCM where each sample has multilevel value - for very high end audio 24 bit is used - this give very accurate signal quantization.

To convert from DSD to PCM (but also to analog signal) low pass filter is used - this filter reconstruct sequence of 0 and 1 to multilevel quantized audio - reconstruction can be done in analog domain (this is when DSD is played in your HiFi system) or in digital domain - usually some FIR filter is selected to do this, frequently also sample rate is reduced as it doesn't need to be so massive in PCM as in DSD world.
    However conversion from DSD to PCM is not lossy as it can't be. But from your perspective there is no quality loss and your audio will sound perfectly as in DSD.
    You can safely ignore this message and enjoy conversion results - no worries.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the info Pandy, technical but kindof with you. My eventual flac files don't show as lossy in auCDtect so that's good enough, and they sound fine. Hadn't heard of DSD etc. until now.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    Thanks for all the info Pandy, technical but kindof with you. My eventual flac files don't show as lossy in auCDtect so that's good enough, and they sound fine. Hadn't heard of DSD etc. until now.
    Feel obligated somehow to explain some technical background behind such message - it is valid in absolute and objective point of view but from practical and subjective perspective can be ignored - SACD is more marketing than real ultra HQ audio standard - there was lot of scientific discussion before on this but for today this is irrelevant as DSD is not objectively and subjectively better than PCM.
    Quote Quote