VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a 4k mp4 on my hard drive the rez is 3840x2160 for some reason if i select matroska preset in handbrake (h.265 MKV 2160p60) it moves the rez to 3840x1600.

I do not want to lose quality. The codec of the original mp4 shows a framerate of 23.976. What are the settings I should use to not lose quality or increase size?

All suggestions welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it cropping the letterbox away? Just disable the crop
    Quote Quote  
  3. Handbrake selects "Automatic" with values Top = 276, Bottom = 274...for "Cropping "
    What does this mean?
    Last edited by alagupuppy; 9th Feb 2022 at 14:57.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Is it cropping the letterbox away? Just disable the crop
    Handbrake selects "Automatic" with values Top = 276, Bottom = 274...for "Cropping "
    What does this mean?
    Last edited by alagupuppy; 9th Feb 2022 at 14:57.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By default the program will crop away the black. Just disable it if don't like it
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    By default the program will crop away the black. Just disable it if don't like it
    Thanks for your suggestion davexnet.
    My question is why does it default from 3840x2160 to 3840x1600? Are both the same quality?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't really affect the quality. Some prefer to crop. Others like keep the encoded black letterbox as a part of the video. Upon playback, should look the same. Most of the media files on my PC are cropped
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    It doesn't really affect the quality. Some prefer to crop. Others like keep the encoded black letterbox as a part of the video. Upon playback, should look the same. Most of the media files on my PC are cropped
    Got you, If I remove the crop, I hope the "Handbrake" retains the black bars and also retains the resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you're not planning on making a Blu-ray movie disc there's no reason to keep the black borders.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by alagupuppy View Post
    I have a 4k mp4 on my hard drive the rez is 3840x2160 for some reason if i select matroska preset in handbrake (h.265 MKV 2160p60) it moves the rez to 3840x1600.

I do not want to lose quality. The codec of the original mp4 shows a framerate of 23.976. What are the settings I should use to not lose quality or increase size?

All suggestions welcome.
    Is this a Black Magic video clip?

If so, the actual resolution of the clip is 3840x1600 encoded in a 3840x2160 frame (padding added top and bottom), Handbrake is removing the padding.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you're not planning on making a Blu-ray movie disc there's no reason to keep the black borders.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Originally Posted by alagupuppy View Post
    I have a 4k mp4 on my hard drive the rez is 3840x2160 for some reason if i select matroska preset in handbrake (h.265 MKV 2160p60) it moves the rez to 3840x1600.

All suggestions welcome.
    Is this a Black Magic video clip?

If so, the actual resolution of the clip is 3840x1600 encoded in a 3840x2160 frame (padding added top and bottom), Handbrake is removing the padding.
    Got u. Thanks
    Quote Quote