VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I'm having a weird issue playing back a single VHS tape. Other tapes play fine in the player.

Here is what happens. I put the tape in, the player attempts to play it, makes a whining noise, and then spits the tape out. I've had this issue with no other tapes.

I try putting the tape in, immediately hitting stop, and then FF or RW, but it just spits the tape out without even getting to that point.

I thought it might be an issue with the tension in the tape so I used a pen to push down the VHS tape locking mechanism and manually fast-forwarded the tape from the clear part to the actual magnetic strip. That didn't correct the issue either.

Any ideas as to why a VHS player that doesn't seem to have issues with any other tape just kicks this one out?

VHS Player - JVC HR-DVS3U MiniDV SVHS VCR Combo
    Tape - The Velveteen Rabbit narrated by Christopher Plummer by FHE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Was there resistance on the tape locking mach (you should not need a pen - a finger nail should be sufficient - and the top will be easily released ?

If so it sound like the cassette has jammed and is not being fed to the heads.

Nothing to lose here since you can not play it right now. Get hold of a spare cassette (one that opens the top cover easily), take the tape from the 'jammed' one and install it in to the spare.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The top hinge/flap releases without issue when I press on the tab with my nail. But, if need be I will cannibalize another tape to transfer this one into.
    Quote Quote