VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all, I've been upgrading my video transfer setup and I've reached the point in my hours of research where I could use some help. My current setup is a Panasonic AG-1970 -> Startech USB3HDCAP -> OBS. I just bought the AG-1970 (& StarTech) for it's TBC purposes to prevent a signal from dropping between my VHS and capture device. I was using an Elgato Video Capture with a Sony SLV-760HF without issue, but I want the higher quality files I can get from OBS.

My Panasonic refuses to output a video signal when I turn the TBC on, but when it's off, the signal to my StarTech cuts in and out (from, well, a lack of TBC to my knowledge). I've even tested it through a DVD/VCR combo (as I read those have, albeit worse, TBCs built in) to no avail. I also tested my AG-1970 with TBC off through the Elgato. It sends through just fine; no signal drops, but with TBC on, no signal at all.

At this point, I've spent literal days researching about the different types of TBC, decks, capture devices, etc. This 'upgrade' has been an ongoing process for several months now. My head is spinning and I feel as though I've hit a dead end. Any help is appreciated and please be as technical as you need to be in your response. I'll understand. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From a diagnostic point of view, you need to eliminate each item in the chain one by one.

So start by feeding the vcr signal straight to a tv. Do you now get a picture with the TBC on ? If no then you either have not set up the vcr correctly or it is faulty.

BTW OBS is a poor choice for analog capture (even if it can be done). But do explain your logic of 'higher quality' since it just will not be there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Well, if Elgato worked for you why don't you just use it? I'm not sure what TBC the AG-1970 has (line or field) but I know some mentioned that it is not as great as the AG-1980 or some high end JVC VCR's (note, high end doesn't mean editing capabilities that used back in the day, it just means it has advanced video processing needed for capturing such as line TBC, DNR, 3D comb filter ...).

Also OBS is not a smart choice, I get it vdub doesn't work all the time and I personally don't use it for capturing, but try other alternatives, AmarecTV, CaptureFlux ... You want a stream capture not a screen capture software.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I totally agree with DB83: see if the video looks good on a TV. If it doesn't, then you need to focus on the VCR and forget about all the things in the capture chain.

Speaking of the capture chain, one thing you didn't mention is what operating system you are using. After Windows XP, later version of Windows started getting very hostile toward some capture drivers, and you can have all sorts of problems like the ones that you are reporting.
    Quote Quote