VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    It runs the video, but the colors are weird. I've already tweaked everything but it seems that it only works with normal colors on pure ntsc tapes. And yes, i have a transcoder for pal-m tapes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In case you did not know.....

PAL-M is neither PAL nor NTSC. It has mostly NTSC format but with PAL timing/sub carrier @ appr. 3.58 mhz. It is unique to Brazil and, I guess, they used modified vcrs to record the analog signal. A friend of mine sent me a recording some years ago - played in B&W - and I needed to send it away for a conversion to finally see the colour.

Seems that your vcr will only output pure NTSC* so a transcoder will do nothing. According to Wiki there does exist some vcrs that will output/convert the signal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL-M

Or you would have to use a true multi-system vcr

* That will also be known as NTSC 4.43. There is a playback format known as NTSC 3.58 but I do not know if this is the same as those vcrs mentioned in the Wiki or what other vcrs support that or even if that is compatable with PAL-M
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I hope you don't mean by "tweaked" alter factory adjustement of potetiometers inside the VCR, because that would require hell of an effort to dial them back in to factory values using the oscilloscope and factory alignement tapes. and why would you use an expensive D-VHS deck for this purpose anyway?
    Quote Quote  
  4. The signal on tape is different to NTSC, so you need an actual PAL-M capable VCR to play it back with color, which will usually be either one of the fancy "worldwide VHS" multi-system VCRs, or one that was released in brazil.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I hope you don't mean by "tweaked" alter factory adjustement of potetiometers inside the VCR, because that would require hell of an effort to dial them back in to factory values using the oscilloscope and factory alignement tapes. and why would you use an expensive D-VHS deck for this purpose anyway?
    I have other VCRs that I just change to auto or pal-m and the color goes back to normal, but this d-vhs doesn't have that option, too bad, because the tapes that are not good or very used run better on it.
    Quote Quote