VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok so i got a device that outputs media via hdmi and i want tio have the option to view from two rooms without having to disconnect rcarry over the media player and reconnect to the other room. I have seen some devices called hdmi video extenders which actually are a transmitter and receiver unit, whihc carry signal over ethernet i guess and also support ir to control from the other rom as well. Since my device only has one hdmi output howu would i go about it to complete the full installation? ID imagine something like that

First use an hdmi duplicator so that source devices gives one hdmi cable to the duplicator, then duplicator gives one cable to Monitor in front of source device, and second cable to the transmitter. Then transmitter carries signal over ethernet to the other room, receiver gets it from the end of that ethernet cable and connects through a final hdmi cable on the other room. And both rooms can have the hdmi signal without moving the source device

-Is this correct?
    -Does the hdmi duplicator have to be powered, or is there some sort of passive hdmi single to double adapter so that i dont ened up with a mess of cables?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I haven't done what you want to do but I found a pretty good article on hdmi extenders here:

https://nerdtechy.com/best-hdmi-extender-cat-5-6-7-ethernet
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Those are all light-duty, consumer-grade extenders, so CAVEAT EMPTOR. A lot depends on distance, bandwidth needs.

You could also try wireless HDMI, but there are similar issues there, with the added complexity of line-of-sight vs. obstruction density, and (usually) shorter reliable max distances.

By duplicator, I think you mean DA (distribution amplifier), and yes there are HDMI DAs that would do that for you the way you are thinking. NO, you will not be able to do ANY of this (DA, Transmitter, Receiver) passively.
    Nor is any of this cheap (or, if it is, it won't be reliable).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanx Scott, and also thanx for the latin, didnt know the latin buyer beware.

So ultimately what do you suggest for this
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If a significant amount of money has to be spent in your case, maybe it's worth considering to just buy a second mediaplayer instead. The purchase could prove more convenient and less expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't know about Greece but you can buy a decent Android TV device in the USA for as little as US$20.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Android-TV-UHD-Streaming-Device/636597403

Share all your media files via WiFi and a player like that will be able to play almost everything (up to 4K HDR HEVC) via the Kodi or VLC app. Use a network share (Windows SMB, Linux NFS) -- media server software isn't required.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depends on if the 2 rooms' shows need to be exactly synced or not, but otherwise I agree. Much easier to stick a media player beside/behind the TVs, and you can use something like a new raspberry Pi box as a cheap but reasonable (and fairly consumer-reliable) source. Much more reliable than consumer extenders.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HDMI extenders are used in situations where there is no other choice, so the cost of the extenders + CAT5e/CAT6/CAT7 Ethernet cables and the inconvenience of running the cables is justifiable. For example, they might be used in a conference room or large classroom, where the video equipment is by necessity located so far away from the display device that an ordinary HDMI cable doesn't provide an adequate signal.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I think of just now is, it can pay off to check whether your mediaplayer has a DLNA - or SMB server onboard and the display device (tv?) in "the other room" would have a DLNA or SMB client in its settings. If so, a network connection between the two should be possible,. And then try if the mediafiles can be played via one of these protocols.
    Quote Quote