VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I use to use DVDShrink to just Decrypt My DVD Movie Files to My Hard Drive.

Then I use VLC Media Player to Watch them and it works good.

Now with Blue Ray Discs this does not work.

Now I know of a Free Program Called Make MKV but will this Re Compress the Blue Ray Video File and just want it to Decrypt it?

And Yes these are all My DVDs and Blue Ray Discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMKV doesn't compress or alter the quality in any way. It merely wraps the main movie and extra's, if desired in a MKV container. It will do DVD's as well as Blu ray and UHD discs. So basically file size in = file size out and the same for quality. In the case of Blu ray and UHD you can also make a whole disc backup in ISO format.

PS. DVDShrink hasn't been updated since 2004 so there are many newer protection schemes it won't work with.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by biferi View Post
    I use to use DVDShrink to just Decrypt My DVD Movie Files to My Hard Drive.

Then I use VLC Media Player to Watch them and it works good.

Now with Blue Ray Discs this does not work.

Now I know of a Free Program Called Make MKV but will this Re Compress the Blue Ray Video File and just want it to Decrypt it?

And Yes these are all My DVDs and Blue Ray Discs.
    VLC is supposed be able to play Blu-ray with libbluray installed. See https://www.videolan.org/developers/libbluray.html libaacs and libbdplus are needed to decrypt encrypted discs.
    You could also try Leawo Blu-ray Player, which is free.

MakeMKV cannot compress anything or convert the original video, audio, and subtitles to different formats. MakeMKV just decrypts and copies all the files and folders on the Blu-ray disc to your hard drive, or muxes the original video, audio, and subtitles into MKV files that it stores on your hard drive. (You must choose to either copy the Blu-ray disc as files and folders or output as MKVs.)
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Jan 2022 at 23:12.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Than You for all the help.

I do not Think I can but I will Ask?

I know I need a Blue Ray Drive to Play Blue Ray Discs.
    But just to use MakeMKV to Decrypt My Blue Ray Disc to My Hard Drive can I use My CD ROM Drive?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Than You for all the help.

I do not Think I can but I will Ask?

I know I need a Blue Ray Drive to Play Blue Ray Discs.
    But just to use MakeMKV to Decrypt My Blue Ray Disc to My Hard Drive can I use My CD ROM Drive?
    CD drive is not a Blu-ray drive so it will not read.
    Quote Quote  
  6. And if I Understand You?

If I Copy My Blue Ray Disc to a VOB File it will not Re Compress it?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And if I Understand You?

If I Copy My Blue Ray Disc to a VOB File it will not Re Compress it?
    If you try to copy your Blu-ray disc to VOB then it probably will be compressed.

VOB is a container associated with DVD and it is only used for standard-definition MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video. The container file format used for Blu-ray disc copies is M2TS.

Blu-ray video is usually high-definition video and either VC1 or AVC/H.264. Standard definition Blu-ray isn't common. Although MPEG-2 video is allowed for Blu-ray it isn't common either. This means you probably can't copy your Blu-ray to a VOB file without re-sizing and converting the video.
    Quote Quote  
  8. So if I use the Program MakeMKV I See on YouTube You have to Pick a Format for it to Copy to.

So if I do not want it to Re Compress My Blue Ray File what Format do I Pick?

When I Watch YouTube Videos I do not See M2TS in the List of Formsts?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So if I use the Program MakeMKV I See on YouTube You have to Pick a Format for it to Copy to.

Using the "Save Selected Titles" option, MakeMKV copies the exact same video and audio for those titles that are on the Blu-ray disc to MKVs on your harddrive with no compression whatsoever. MKV files will play just fine with VLC without installing libbluray.

Using the "Backup" option, MakeMKV copies the entire contents of the disc to your hard drive with no compression whatsoever. Individual titles are in M2TS files in the "STREAM" subfolder of the " BDMV" or "BDAV" directory, just like they are on the Blu-ray disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So if I use the Program MakeMKV I See on YouTube You have to Pick a Format for it to Copy to.

EVERYTHING on YouTube and uploaded to YT is recompressed to their specifications, so of course you would not see M2TS, as that isn't one that they offer.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    EVERYTHING on YouTube and uploaded to YT is recompressed to their specifications, so of course you would not see M2TS, as that isn't one that they offer.

Scott
    I was about to write what you did but then it dawned on me that biferi was probably asking about the output options that were shown in a YouTube tutorial about MakeMKV.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Jan 2022 at 14:49.
    Quote Quote