VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not techy at all, but my childrens baby vids are ruined. I have left them sitting in a box because it tears me up to look at or think about them. They were recorded on an old super 8 recorder, a sony I think. and it was refurbished,...long sad story. anyway, the audio is fine, but the video has a static line that comes across the video every few seconds. I am wondering if there is anyway to capture, convert the video and audio and edit or restore it to a point that I can at least see the images better. It is like all the memories of my children's baby and childhoods are gone. I have quite a few of these tapes so I could not afford to send them off I am pretty sure. What is your advice on software and hardware and anything else. Thank you. Please help.
    Allison
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    8mm and Super8 suggests cine film not tape, I think what you have are Video8 or Hi8 tapes. If the line is horizontal, what that means is either the machine you recorded them on or the one you are using to play them back on has the tracking out. So there is a difference between the two. You need to use a different machine to play them back, ideally one that has a tracing adjustment but there aren't many of those about these days.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello across the pond!! My family is from Nottingham. OK, I sure wish it would be that easy. I'm pretty sure that it isnt a tracking thing as I gave one of the tapes to my Father in law to put on DVD and his player transferred the lines onto the DVD. I just went and dug up the tapes and I have both 8mm and hi8. the 8mm tape says on the case-SUPER FINAVINX-METAL PARTICLE TAPE. I don't know if this makes any difference.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DVNKLE View Post
    Hello across the pond!! My family is from Nottingham. OK, I sure wish it would be that easy. I'm pretty sure that it isnt a tracking thing as I gave one of the tapes to my Father in law to put on DVD and his player transferred the lines onto the DVD. I just went and dug up the tapes and I have both 8mm and hi8. the 8mm tape says on the case-SUPER FINAVINX-METAL PARTICLE TAPE. I don't know if this makes any difference.
    Could be tape damage, such as a crease. Open up the flap and take a look.
    If you don't see anything, some problems may be improved by fast forwarding to the end and back to the beginning
    a couple of times
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Tons of threads like this are posted almost weekly, just browse the capturing sub-forum and learn, This is not a plug and play task, it involves understanding how video tape playback and time base correction work, Types of A/V hardware and capture devices and different ways of hooking them up, Windows drivers and their restrictive behavior towards video and audio devices, Learning is the only way to get around the problems that you will encounter. If you don't want to deal with all this just reach out to one of the senior members here that can do the job for you. I understand that your budget is limited but at least you can do 2 or 3 tapes at a time rather then watching them decay or try to do them on your own and screw them up.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Could be tape damage, such as a crease. Open up the flap and take a look.
    If you don't see anything, some problems may be improved by fast forwarding to the end and back to the beginning
    a couple of times
    It doesn't make sense that it would be tape damage as it is on more than one tape. Maybe lines isn't a good way to describe it. It is more line the vid plays fine and every few seconds the whole image turns to a static look and then clears...over and over and over. If I can get my camera to play again, I will see if I can take and post a video of what is happening.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If the problem happens on all tapes, then the camera is probably bad. See if you can borrow a friends camera and try again with that. You can also buy used cameras on eBay for not too much money.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can we eliminate one possibility since you mentioned an UK connection with your family.

Were these tapes filmed in the UK or in the US. If the former then they are unlikely to play back correctly on US camcorders.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Were these tapes filmed in the UK or in the US. If the former then they are unlikely to play back correctly on US camcorders.
    Good catch.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If it's a standard issue the audio would not be fine as the OP mentioned, In any case until a sample is provided we can only guess at this point.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even with the above, I am still puzzled as to how the OP is viewing them. We know that one was transferred to a dvd complete with the described artefacts but the opening statement suggests a different camcorder.

So maybe the make model of this camcorder will also help just to ensure that it is compatable with these tapes.

Also is the viewing within the camcorder or to a tv ?
    Last edited by DB83; 25th Jan 2022 at 05:40. Reason: addit. request
    Quote Quote