VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, when converting interlaced videos, FFmpeg maintains the interlacing and field order correctly, but the resulting file does not indicate the type of interlacing clearly.

I have read that x264 only uses MBAFF. So we have a problem when we want to edit that transcoded video in Edius 9 and 10, because it marks the video as progressive (can be changed manually).

So for example FFmpeg gives this information about the original file:
    field_order=tt

but in the transcoded file:
    field_order=unknown

although using IDET detects TFF correctly:
    [Parsed_idet_0 @ 0000000005b8fc80] Multi frame detection: TFF: 312 BFF: 0 Progressive: 0 Undetermined: 0

Using Mediainfo on the original:
    "ScanType": "Interlaced",
    "ScanOrder": "TFF",

but in the transcoded:
    "ScanType": "MBAFF",
    "ScanOrder": "TFF",

So Edius must mess with that and mark that video as progressive on load. It seems to ignore MBAFF or it doesn't find any field order data.

So my question is is there a way to include "field_order" or some other field in the transcoded video so that Edius can identify the field order correctly?

The command I use to convert the videos is this:

-y -hide_banner -threads 0 -hwaccel dxva2 -i SOURCEFILE -vcodec libx264 -profile:v high -level 4.1 -preset slow -b:v 10000k -maxrate 10000k -bufsize 20000k -flags +ilme+ildct -alternate_scan 1 -top 1 -g 50 -codec aac -b:a 192k -ar 44100 -movflags +faststart DESTINATIONFILE
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Updating FFmpeg to the last version, now the transcoded video shows the "field_order"... but Edius still is marking as progressive the video. Perhaps Edius doesn't recognice MBAFF at all?
    Quote Quote  
  3. What container? Try removing "-alternate_scan 1".
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Same problem without alternate_scan... Edius insists in set them as progressive.

Container for transcoded videos are MP4. For the source videos there are several containers (MP4, MTS, MXF, MPG, AVI), in this case is a MTS.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's probably time to complain to Grass Valley.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, it seems to be an Edius problem, thank you.
    Quote Quote