VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

I have some media content consists from m2v(video) + wav(audio) files. I want to find more information about this media format.
    How to play this media in players?
    Does the name of file with video (_name_.m2v) always match the file with audio (_name_.wav)?
    Do the files have any metadata with information about other related files? (for example, does the .m2v file has information about .wav file)?
    Quote Quote  
  2. m2v is an MPEG 2 elementary stream (raw MPEG 2 video). WAV is usually uncompressed PCM audio (though the WAV container does support compressed audio too).

Some players can be set to automatically load an audio track with the same name as the video. Or you can mux the two together into an MPG, MKV, etc. file. Then any player will automatically play audio and video.

No metadata in m2v. WAV can contain metadata.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for the reply.

Could you please describe which type of metadata about relation with m2v stored in wav? Maybe you can give link to the some standard where described this information?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Parts 2 & 3 will be of help. The use of Groove, which came with my version of Windows 10, was something I did not know.
    It's available in the Microsoft Store.
    https://www.leawo.org/entips/methods-on-how-to-edit-wav-tags-1387.html

The relationship between m2v and wav, I don't know. I assume it's just two tracks. Multiplexed, they could be put in most containers. avi, mp4, mkv, ???

Cheers.
    Last edited by pcspeak; 14th Jan 2022 at 13:44. Reason: Unclear answer. (Still not happy.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ValentinNikin1998 View Post
    Could you please describe which type of metadata about relation with m2v stored in wav?
    I don't think there's normally any metadata regarding video associations in a WAV file. It may be possible to put a link to the video -- but that doesn't mean any player/program will pay attention to it. I recommend you just mux the two together.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    No metadata in m2v.
    MPEG-2 can carry metadata embedded as user data ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG_user_data )
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks everyone for the replies. To clarify my task. I'm programmer and I need to write file watcher to detect media in forlder.
    In the m2v + wav case I need to unite this files to bundle. So I need to determine what m2v and wav files includes to 1 media. Now I'm trying to do this only by filename. I'm taking m2v filename as prefix and finding depends wav files. Is it right way?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ValentinNikin1998 View Post
    I need to write file watcher to detect media in forlder. In the m2v + wav case I need to unite this files to bundle. So I need to determine what m2v and wav files includes to 1 media. Now I'm trying to do this only by filename. I'm taking m2v filename as prefix and finding depends wav files. Is it right way?
    I doubt you will find any metadata that indicates the association. Whether using the names is the right way depends on the program/person that's creating the m2v and wav files. For example, DgIndex produces a pair of files like:

Code:
    VTS_01_1.demuxed.m2v
    VTS_01_1 T80 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY -51ms.ac3
    So the filenames only partially match. There's no metadata indicating the association of the two files.
    Quote Quote