VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,
    I'm new to the forum but I've been editing videos for years. I'd always used Sony Vegas, but started using Adobe Premiere Pro CC v12.0 only a couple of years ago, and it has almost always worked flawlessly.

Since a couple of months though, I've started experiencing strange issues while editing:
    • Whenever I move the slider in the timeline, the preview is not responsive at all, and I have to wait at least 3 seconds for the proper frame to appear in the preview; the same delay happens whenever I click the "play" button (I have to wait 3 seconds before the preview starts playing);
    • At the beginning of these 3 seconds, I noticed 100% CPU activity spikes in the task manager;
    • If I try to edit too fast (cuts, trims, move clips, every other action), the chances of the software to crash are almost 90%... I've been editing a 45 min video project and probably I've run into hundreds of crashes. It just freezes and I have to kill the process in the task manager.

I'm thinking that the crash is caused by the first issue: in fact, I've noticed that if I wait for the preview to load (3 seconds after I stop moving the slider), PP will never crash. The crashes only occurs if actions are made in those 3 seconds of pre-loading.

I'm sure that months ago the software was not so sluggish. I've tryed with the following fixes:
    • Clear media cache files
    • Reset workspaces
    • Disable GPU acceleration
    • Reduce the preview size
    • Converting all of the footages I'm working with into GoPro Cineform codec using shutter encoder

None of this solved the problem... The conversion into Cineform helped a lot in the first stages of the project (faster video playback and editing, less crashes), but as soon as it started becoming bigger, I got the same bug again.

Are there any other things I could try? Is it possible that the "Essential audio" tool in the "Audio" workspace is causing the issue? I used it a lot to correct the audio levels.

EDIT: the strange thing is that if I hold the slider with the left click, after those 3 seconds, the preview starts to be 100% responsive (I can see the video frames updating in real time when moving the slider).

System Specs:
    • CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz
    • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB
    • RAM: 16 GB

Footage Specs:
    • Container: MPEG-4 (JVT)
    • Codec: avc1 (avc1/isom)
    • Acquired with DJI Osmo Pocket and DJI Mavic Mini

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Last edited by Trial4life; 14th Jan 2022 at 02:40.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It turned out that Essential sounds was the cause of the lag! In fact, if I delete all of the audio tracks, everything goes instantly super fast.

Do you know how can I use essential sounds without encountering this issue? Have newer versions of Premiere solved it?
    Quote Quote