VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been getting into video editing\restoration and thought it would be cool to restore my favorite childhood cartoon Cowboys of Moo Mesa. The only available source for the second season is a bootleg dvd and it is horrible quality. There is almost every possible problem that I have encountered all at once I've included clips with the only postprocessing being MPEG2Source cpu=6 as that was the plugin used to get the video in avisynth for trimming the attached clips. Virtualdub output using lagarith lossless codec in yv12. So as a baseline the obvious things that need done would be some type of ivtc im not familiar at all with them as this is my first cartoon restoration. The red channel also looks off to me. and the chroma is shifted in some frames but it is not always consistent. Mosquito noise and blocking are also very much there. I have played with trying different
    filters over the past week or so. Some of the plugins I have tried include TFM TDecimate for the ivtc, aWarpSharp2 (chroma=6) for the chroma shifting, TemporalDegrain2 for noise. All of these help to a degree but i'm hoping more can be done to fix this. So any gurus want to give these clips a shot see what they can come up with?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you use a 64 bit version of Mpeg2Source? Those don't implement the deblocking and deringing filters. CPU=6 won't do anything. AVI files show no evidence of deblocking or deringing.

In the future use DgIndex to extract segments. Mark-in, Mark-out, File -> Save Project and Demux Video. Then upload the m2v file(s).

Here's what I did with the given files:

Code:
    v1 = LWLibavVideoSource("trim 1.avi") 
    v2 = LWLibavVideoSource("trim 2.avi") 

v1+v2
    AssumeTFF()
    Crop(16,0,-0,-0)

ColorYUV(cont_u=-30, cont_v=-30) # reduce saturation a bit, can use Tweak(sat=0.88) instead

deblock_qed_i(quant1=50, quant2=55)
    TFM()
    Santiag(2,2)
    TDecimate()

MergeChroma(aWarpSharp(depth=5), aWarpSharp(depth=20))
    ChromaShiftSP(x=-4, y=2)

SMDegrain (tr=3, thSAD=2000, refinemotion=false, contrasharp=false, PreFilter=4, mode=0, truemotion=true, plane=4, chroma=true)
    More (or less) could be done.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote