VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know OBS Studio isn't the best capture programme for capturing analogue video, but it's one of the few programmes which seems to be able to work on my laptop using a UBS capture device. The only problem I'm getting is that the image is significantly cropped at the bottom, and I've tried different settings but nothing I can see that will fix it. If anyone knows then it would be great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Make sure the selected TV standard matches your input signal (PAL/NTSC/PAL_M/PAL60/NTSC4.43 etc.).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    Make sure the selected TV standard matches your input signal (PAL/NTSC/PAL_M/PAL60/NTSC4.43 etc.).
    I don't think OBS will allow me to select the TV standard as it seems to defaulted only to NTSC. Why would that make the screen cropped?.

I did try this setting and changed to 25fps PAL, not sure if that's what I'm supposed to do but it hasn't changed anything. Maybe it's the resolution being too high.

Screenshot below:
    [Attachment 62770 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by techmot; 5th Jan 2022 at 12:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by techmot View Post
    Why would that make the screen cropped?
    Because NTSC has fewer lines (vertical resolution) than PAL and many capture devices do not stop you from selecting it anyways.

Those dimensions in your screenshot do not make any sense whatsoever for capturing analog.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OBS is junk for analog, not a capture tool.

VirtualDub
    AmarecTV when VirtualDub fails (AND you've tried ALL settings tweaks before giving up)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    OBS is junk for analog, not a capture tool.

VirtualDub
    AmarecTV when VirtualDub fails (AND you've tried ALL settings tweaks before giving up)
    I've had the same cropping issue with Virtualdub, sometimes the image is noticeably cropped at the bottom and at other times it's displaying the full screen, even when the capture device hasnt been unplugged from the USB port. It seems to be happening randomly.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by techmot View Post
    I've had the same cropping issue with Virtualdub, sometimes the image is noticeably cropped at the bottom and at other times it's displaying the full screen, even when the capture device hasnt been unplugged from the USB port. It seems to be happening randomly.
    From the screen shot you posted above and the numbers in it you don't seem to have a clue on what resolution you should set your software at and what frame rates. The frame rate is not resolution, it's the number of frames per second.

NTSC 720x480 @ 59.94 interlaced fields per second or 29.97 fps (2 fields make up one frame).
    PAL/SECAM 720x576 @ 50 interlaced fields per second or 25 fps.

The software output resolution is not the capture resolution, it is a resizing on the fly, Capture devices sample at the resolutions posted above, but you can change the output resolution, though not recommended.

In the analog video capture world there is only one canvas and the capture device already knows by hardware design that the canvas is the resolutions I posted above, Therefore OBS is not recommended for analog tape based video formats since it is a multi purpose tool and not specific to the task, just like using the screwdriver from a swiss knife.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 6th Jan 2022 at 11:16.
    Quote Quote