VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. Long ago I started to try to convert VHS home videos to digital format. Maybe to DVD or hard drives. I did some poorly. The important part was to save the content. I have not even tried to view them recently. I started to gather equipment back then that I thought would work. I had a plan. Then came the divorce, moving, storage. Years later I cannot remember the plan and have some equipment. I likely also gathered some equipment that I did not need or was not optimal.

I want to know how to connect this stuff to a computer and what computer I/O cards to use and what software. I recall one hardware component was missing that I needed to buy back then but I am sure it has changed much. I am looking for bulk conversions, not super high quality hand editing.

I have
    JVC HR S9911U S-VHS with composite and S outputs. Said to be good for what I need.
    SignVideo ProcAmp Y-C and composite outputs. This has 2 channels. I hope to find the power adapter.
    How would I use this stuff to feed to a computer?
    Do I use the S video or composite outputs from each and then use the composite audio?

Also I just found a cable marked "Pinnacle 700 PCI Video Capture Card" with apparent S video and composite video in and out coupled to a 25 PIN D connector. I did not find the PCI card yet.
    AND a Archer Video Enhanced Stabilizer 15-1270

I have a cam corder that I think was supposed to work as pass through for composite or S video to digital or firewire? I would not count on that but it might work.
    I have to get to digital somehow.

I also have stuff I am not sure why I have it.
    Canopus ADVC 300 box. Never used. Can I use this some how?
    JVC DR-DX5 Not sure it works.Maybe without hard drive? MiniDV HD DVD.
    JVC SR VS10 not sure it works. Mini DV and S VHS recorder.

On edit:
    I found another card pinnacle systems v1.0a bendino(?) pci card.
    Last edited by eclecticmn; 2nd Jan 2022 at 15:23. Reason: Added material
    Quote Quote  
  2. This entire forum is basically people asking how to capture vhs and other tapes. Give a good look at the million other threads too

https://www.videohelp.com/search?q=how+to+vhs&siteurl=forum.videohelp.com&Search=Search

Unless you want to go down the rabbit hole of lossless video capture via virtualdub, you might just wanna plug that JVC VCR right into the Canopus and capture firewire to DV. It will give pretty good results.

If you wanna go farther, it gets more expensive and more complex.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nicholasserra View Post
    This entire forum is basically people asking how to capture vhs and other tapes. Give a good look at the million other threads too

https://www.videohelp.com/search?q=how+to+vhs&siteurl=forum.videohelp.com&Search=Search

Unless you want to go down the rabbit hole of lossless video capture via virtualdub, you might just wanna plug that JVC VCR right into the Canopus and capture firewire to DV. It will give pretty good results.

If you wanna go farther, it gets more expensive and more complex.
    Than you for the link and advice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DV is a 1990s conversion method, and you lose about 50% of your video quality.

A DV box also does not remove the need for TBCs.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote