VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi there

I'm having this problem with awful chroma trail and ghosting I'm video �� ��

Specially when viewed in bx player and vlc but result seems to vary depending on device or player...I'm wondering if it's in the source.
    Can anyone help?Image
    [Attachment 62612 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by cjdavis83; 29th Dec 2021 at 18:00. Reason: Pictures
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A still picture really does not tell the complete story.

Upload a sample clip as an attachment (not a youtube reencode)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    A still picture really does not tell the complete story.

Upload a sample clip as an attachment (not a youtube reencode)
    https://mega.nz/file/JIRwEbiB#BBXHG13tGIRTbCM2YUs7AKRQnUFl2V8fKENlOw299fU
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    First, I did not download a whopping 3.35 GB. A smaller sample would be appreciated.

Anyways, looking at your sceenshot this is a live perfomance and was shot on electronic video cameras (not on film) in the 70's or 80's. Therefore I suspect you might be talking about a characteristic of these video cameras we just came across a few days ago in another thread. And in that case it would be normal and is due to the technology of the cameras used, which is very different from basically any electronic camera made after the early 90's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    +1

Neither will I download such a large file. A sample, not, I suspect, the whole thing, was requested.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    +1

Neither will I download such a large file. A sample, not, I suspect, the whole thing, was requested.
    I'm sorry guys. Here is a sample spot. When she turns towards the end you can see trails of red as she moves away from camera. This happens in the original unedited too.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Muhuahua, I'd like to see some good filteringfor those trails while keeping the look of that dress intact.
    (btw. the second, smaller, sample is trash)
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Selur; 30th Dec 2021 at 07:04.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Muhuahua, I'd like to see some good filteringfor those trails while keeping the look of that dress intact.
    (btw. the second, smaller, sample is trash)
    Here is another section, above the lady's head on right there is a ghost trail. If you can splice the original interlaced copy from first sample I would appreciate.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. Reencoding as progressive and not deinterlacing makes the samples useless. Attached a small part from the original as FFV1, around second 8 on can see chroma ghosting/trains at the hand and tons of trails on the dress,... but I doubt you can really get rid of both of them without lots of work.
    Image Attached Files
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's what I was suspecting. It's phosphor lag (as described in the other thread) which is a characteristic of pick-up tube based cameras. It is normal for footage this old shot on electronic cameras to exhibit this. It's not an artefact that was introduced later – it was there from the start. Personally I would not even bother trying to remedy this. It's just the way old electronic video looks (and probably a reason so much stuff was shot on film during that period).
    Quote Quote