VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So, pardon if this has been discussed before, but, out of curiosity... Does anyone know how textless versions of DVD menus are made for international releases of DVDs? Like, for example:
    [Attachment 62604 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 62605 - Click to enlarge]

These two are the "Features" menus for two different editions of VeggieTales: King George and the Ducky. The English one is from my American DVD of it, while the Korean one is from my Korean DVD of it.

By the way, I ask because I might need some help when making textless DVD menus for my fan-DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't think I understand your question. Both of your screenshots show menus with text (English and Korean) – what do you mean by "textless"?

Using a command sequence you can check the DVD-player's language settings and route the viewer to the menu of his language automatically, if that's what you mean. There is no need to make individual DVDs for different languages (although for commercial releases this is almost always done anyways).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    I don't think I understand your question. Both of your screenshots show menus with text (English and Korean) – what do you mean by "textless"?

Using a command sequence you can check the DVD-player's language settings and route the viewer to the menu of his language automatically, if that's what you mean. There is no need to make individual DVDs for different languages (although for commercial releases this is almost always done anyways).
    What I mean is, doing the exact DVD menus, but without text.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's most likely a Photoshop or After Effects template that they used and shared for international releases. Changing or completely removing the text is as easy as using any text editor.

Without this template you are left with erasing the text manually in an image editor, which is easy to do in this case thanks to the boxes. The menu title requires some fiddling.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Understand that all the visual elements stored on a DVD are bitmapped, whether video or still mpeg used programs and menu backgrounds, or of subpictures used for menu highlights and subtitles. (This doesn't count embedded ntsc closed captioning, but that does not come into play here).

Skiller is correct. One of the most common ways of prepping assets like this is to create a layered photoshop file (after effects likely is used for motion menues), that has each major element as a layer.

So:
    0 - bkgd
    1 - bkgd accent
    2 - bkgd swash overlay
    3 - animated character
    4 - menu title
    5 - menu element outlines
    6 - menu option text
    And there may be many unused, hidden alternate layers also stuffed into the file.

With certain apps, it is preferable to rework the layers into something like (from memory):
    0 - composite bkgd
    1 - subpicture color1
    2 - subpicture color2
    3 - subpicture color3
    4 - subpicture color4

Either way, re-editing AFTER the fact will require pulling the menu and exporting as a bmp, png, etc.
    Then use that as the bkgd, though you might attempt a bit of selection+separation of layers for more flexibility.
    Then you will erase the current text (which has long since been burned in to the pixels), with a selected flood fill, or healing brush, etc.
    Then put new text on its own new layer. That way you can then internationalize it later.
    Before reimport it too will need rendering and merging like the mentioned above.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Understand that all the visual elements stored on a DVD are bitmapped, whether video or still mpeg used programs and menu backgrounds, or of subpictures used for menu highlights and subtitles. (This doesn't count embedded ntsc closed captioning, but that does not come into play here).

Skiller is correct. One of the most common ways of prepping assets like this is to create a layered photoshop file (after effects likely is used for motion menues), that has each major element as a layer.

So:
    0 - bkgd
    1 - bkgd accent
    2 - bkgd swash overlay
    3 - animated character
    4 - menu title
    5 - menu element outlines
    6 - menu option text
    And there may be many unused, hidden alternate layers also stuffed into the file.

With certain apps, it is preferable to rework the layers into something like (from memory):
    0 - composite bkgd
    1 - subpicture color1
    2 - subpicture color2
    3 - subpicture color3
    4 - subpicture color4

Either way, re-editing AFTER the fact will require pulling the menu and exporting as a bmp, png, etc.
    Then use that as the bkgd, though you might attempt a bit of selection+separation of layers for more flexibility.
    Then you will erase the current text (which has long since been burned in to the pixels), with a selected flood fill, or healing brush, etc.
    Then put new text on its own new layer. That way you can then internationalize it later.
    Before reimport it too will need rendering and merging like the mentioned above.

Scott
    Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote