VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an MKV video with soft subtitles - I can turn them on and off in VLC player. There are no separate subtitle or audio files.

I want to create a DVD using DVD Styler. I dragged the MKV into it and created two menu sets, a VMGM and a Titleset.

I added a Setup button to VMGM Menu 1, which jumps to Titleset 1 Menu 4.

Menu 4 has a Subtitles button to turn subtitles on, and a Subtitles Off button to turn them off.
    It will also have a pair of audio buttons.

How do I code Menu 4 and its buttons? I searched and tried to decipher the documentation, to no avail.

For the Subtitles button Properties, I chose Custom, entered "subtitle=0;", and in the subtitle dropdown chose track 1. Is this correct?

EDIT: No idea how this post didn't end up in the DVD Authoring forum.
    Last edited by framistat; 27th Dec 2021 at 12:01. Reason: wth, how did it end up in the wrong forum; changes
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is this correct?
    No. Read page 14 HERE.

Also you can only use muxed subtitles if they're vobsub/idx format.

Maybe also look HERE.
    Last edited by videobruger; 27th Dec 2021 at 12:24. Reason: Added link
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I searched that pdf for all occurrences of subtitle and read p 14 and all other pages. I don't understand it. To me, p 14 says the register can be invoked as "subtitle", and that a value can be set with "=value;", that there are 0-31 possible values. Didn't I follow that? Maybe you can take a moment to explain what's wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The ASS Softcoded button in the example you gave, isn't using the approach on page 14, and isn't coding a separate audio/subtitle menu. It's playing title 1 with subtitles. I don't want to play title 1 with or without, then have to restart the entire video to turn subtitles on or off. I want to start playing, then turn subtitles on or off. Can't I do that? Image
    [Attachment 62588 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. that there are 0-31 possible values
    You need to add 64 to the stream number.

Can't I do that?
    You could make a menu with Entry Subtitle. This is invoked if you press button "Subtitle" on a remote control.

[Attachment 62589 - Click to enlarge]

The menu could have a button to turn subtitles on.

[Attachment 62590 - Click to enlarge]

And a button to turn them off.

[Attachment 62591 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, that's helpful. My remote does not have a "subtitle" (STTL) button.

For audio, I have two streams, stereo and 5.1 surround. Are these streams referenced as 0 and 1, or 1 and 2, with 0 being embedded in the video per the pdf p 14?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Are these streams referenced as 0 and 1
    Yes.

If your remote has an "Audio" you could use a menu with entry Audio. And you don't need to use buttons. You could use a pre-command for the menu like

if (g0==62) { g0=64; } else { g0=62; };subtitle=g0;resume;

But I don't know how you'll handle the selections of audio/subtitles just remember they must be selected from a Titleset menu not a VMGM menu.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Very few players have buttons on their remote for menus other than the Title Menu and the Root Menu.
    Sometimes a button combination such as Subtitle and then any of the menu keys does it but that is rare as well.

If I was you I would just use the Root Menu for this and use the Resume feature to avoid having to restart the movie.
    Quote Quote