VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been trying to figure out the correct settings in staxrip with marginal luck. The closest to correct seems to have been AnimeIVCT > Field. I want to archive this anime since it is short, silly and just a good laugh. SO, I want to do it properly, haha.

I have uploaded a clip for anyone with more experience and some time to take a crack at it please:

Vid: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gLQXwC1yyWu-vWzwqlIr7Uma0xB8XP4r/view?usp=sharing
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't know if staxrip support qtgmc and srestore but here's a start (addressing only the blending and frame rate):

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("Golden Boy 1_t00.mkv", cache=false, prefer_hw=2) 
    QTGMC(preset="fast") # or a slower preset
    SRestore(frate=23.976)
    There's still some blending, especially at some shot changes, but it's better. Using the original VOB files and DgIndex/Mpeg2Source may be a little better.

AviSynth+ and x264 CLI encoded video attached.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. That looks quite a bit better already. I can re-dump the discs raw if you think there is a way to get better results that way. Every time I did QTGMC I was getting this weird, best I can describe, snap back effect where previous frames would flash in during high motion. I figured it was because it wasn't straight TFF interlaced.

Let me re-dump them and tinker a bit. Either way, I really appreciate it and will let you know.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ddg00101 View Post
    Every time I did QTGMC I was getting this weird, best I can describe, snap back effect where previous frames would flash in during high motion
    That may have been the wrong field order. The source filter you used may not have set the field order. Use AssumeTFF() or AssumeBFF() before QTGMC(). The former in this case.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Looks like dumping the VOBs, manually dgindexing and then encoding with QTGMC did the trick. Lesson learned, don't use makemkv when dumping anime DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ddg00101 View Post
    Looks like dumping the VOBs, manually dgindexing and then encoding with QTGMC did the trick. Lesson learned, don't use makemkv when dumping anime DVDs.
    Yes, DgIndex doesn't work right with MKV. Sometimes I get lazy and just use LWlibavVideoSource when I get such an MKV. But for critical video I will remux to MPG with ffmpeg, then use DgIndex/Mpeg2Source with that MPG. When working with DVDs (which I hardly ever do now) I decrypt to a VIDEO_TS folder, then use DgIndex on the VOB files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the help again. Staxrip can do the whole process too I have figured out. You just select open, merge files and select all of the VOBs for each episode. I've got the system working overtime now.

Oh, and next step is AI upscale using topaz video AI with a final x265 and opus encode. Looking forward to final results.

[Attachment 62583 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by ddg00101; 26th Dec 2021 at 23:48.
    Quote Quote