VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have a problem with my Panasonic VCR (NV-SV120). It all started when I was playing with tracking.

I took advantage of the tracking option because I thought that would eliminate the problem with displaying green and purple horizontal stripes at the top and bottom of the screen (appearing irregularly, ie. not always). However, I just made it worse You can see this problem in the attached screenshots.

Now I have a wide horizontal bar at the bottom of the screen and I don't know how to remove it. You can see these problems in the attached screenshots. The last one represents my current problem.

I also captured a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSqvCfA5Yt8

How did I try to solve the problem?

1. Manual/Automatic tracking adjusting by buttons on the front of the VCR (according to manual). - It doesn't work.
    2. Turning the rollers inside the VCR (manual tracking) - It doesn't work.
    3. Cleaning VCR (heads, rollers ...) with isopropanol according to the instructions on youtube. - It doesn't work.

I really don't know what to do anymore. Can anyone advise what to do with it? Thank you very much in advance!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-12-06_9-05-48.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	62494  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-12-06_9-10-04.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	62495  

Name:	2021-12-06_9-06-49.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	509.5 KB
ID:	62496  

Name:	2021-12-22_13-34-57.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	615.0 KB
ID:	62498  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Are all tapes you play now affected by this?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Unfortunately, yes. I tried several cassettes and the problem is the same everywhere.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Deenius View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. I tried several cassettes and the problem is the same everywhere.

do the green and purple horizontal stripes that appear at the top and bottom of the screen
    still show if you play the tape on another vcr ?? might also try to manually adjusting the tracking while
    transferring the tape to a new tape - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/377237-Purple-green-VHS post #6
    also see this thread - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/392604-Horizontal-Lines-from-VHS
    Last edited by october262; 22nd Dec 2021 at 18:24.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Never mess with VCR alignement before you investigate what's wrong with the tape first, Now you will never get it back accuratly to it's original state without an oscilloscope and an alignement tape or a good known accurate pre-recoded tape.

The chroma shift you've shown or chroma Vsync has nothing to do with the VCR tracking because at that stage chroma and luma have not beed decoded and separated yet, Most likely there is a problem with the head pre-amp or the chroma board. I've succefully removed this artifact with the black AVTool TBC box, but your VCR does need to be checked.

From the video looks like the exit guide is way off, Try turning it in either way slowly just to get a watchable picture, It's the one on the right side of the drum.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 23rd Dec 2021 at 20:28. Reason: Added details
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by Deenius View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. I tried several cassettes and the problem is the same everywhere.

do the green and purple horizontal stripes that appear at the top and bottom of the screen
    still show if you play the tape on another vcr ?? might also try to manually adjusting the tracking while
    transferring the tape to a new tape - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/377237-Purple-green-VHS post #6
    also see this thread - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/392604-Horizontal-Lines-from-VHS
    Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity to try another VCR now. However, I had tried many other cassettes before and a problem arose on each.

Frankly, I don't think the problem is with the cassettes themselves. The stripes often appear irregularly. Sometimes it appears in the same period of time and other times it doesn't. Very strange.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Never mess with VCR alignement before you investigate what's wrong with the tape first, Now you will never get it back accuratly to it's original state without an oscilloscope and an alignement tape or a good known accurate pre-recoded tape.

The chroma shift you've shown or chroma Vsync has nothing to do with the VCR tracking because at that stage chroma and luma have not beed decoded and separated yet, Most likely there is a problem with the head pre-amp or the chroma board. I've succefully removed this artifact with the black AVTool TBC box, but your VCR does need to be checked.

From the video looks like the exit guide is way off, Try turning it in either way slowly just to get a watchable picture, It's the one on the right side of the drum.
    1. Is there a video somewhere how to remove this "artifact" using AVTool TBC box?
    2. What exactly do you mean by "your VCR does need to be checked."
    3. What is an "exit guide" please? The roller to the right of the head?

BTW, thnak you all for your help. I really appreciate you helping me.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2875.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	691.4 KB
ID:	62525  

Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Check your VCR electronics, capacitors, voltage regulators ...etc, Yes that's the exit guide. AVTool is a TBC box just hook it up in pasthrough, some versions of the black box are bad some are good.
    Quote Quote