VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Looks like a standard ITU cap. The 4:3 image is stored in a 704x480 portion of the frame. The frame is padded out to 720x480.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thanks. From what I can see this .ts looks basically ok to me. The PAR (pixel aspect ratio) seems to be 10:11 (ITU, mpeg4). When the playback of the 720x480 frame is forced to 4:3 (640x480) the picture is slighly squeezed horizontally. When it is played according to the PAR (frame size 654x480) it is a perfect circle. So when you play it via analog composite I would expect an undistorted picture. When you play it via HDMI I would expect a slightly squeezed picture.
    Anyway, this possible AR distortion/ambiguity is 'cosmetics' compared to the overscan issue.

Edit: Oops, jagabo was faster. I think the findings/conclusions are basically the same.

Edit2: Comparison. Left: ITU conformant playback (PAR 10:11), circle ok. Right: frame forced to 4:3, circle slightly horizontally squeezed
    Most people won't notice the difference though.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AR compare.png
Views:	13
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	62598  

Last edited by Sharc; 28th Dec 2021 at 10:23.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you again for all your help
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dave_van_damme View Post
    However you’re right, if I want display the full image on my crappy TV it seems a composite to HDMI converter will work .
    I can recommend this box, I've used it myself and produces stunning video.
    Quote Quote