Hi,

Please indulge my long-winded story.

In general, I prefer to use portable versions of everything, whenever possible, In many cases, if a portable version is not available, I'll extract the installer.

Years ago, occasionally, I might install it, copy the install folder and back it up, do a system restore (or more recently, restore a Macrium backup) and use the backed up install folder. I locate this type of data on a separate partition. Makes my OS partition far more manageable, and minimizes it's size, which keeps partition images far smaller, which also means a fraction of the time when restoring them.

I've always used PotPlayerMini64.exe as the executable, because in that past, when I did install it, I found that PotPlayerMini64.ini was the file that was altered during preference customization (even tho PotPlayer64.exe existed in the same install folder), and I could transfer that PotPlayerMini64.ini file to an updated version.

Up until now, I haven't used the Potplayer portables, because I don't prefer that "Portableapps" type of setup if I can keep it simple. I never bothered to check out if I could just use the unzipped "PotPlayerPortable64\PotPlayerPortable64\App\PotPl ayer64" folder, probably because the portable setup only offers the PotPlayer64.exe executable, and I didn't want the bother of having to customize the associated PotPlayer64.ini all over again.

Today, I tried it, using my current PotPlayerMini64.ini file, renamed to PotPlayer64.ini. Works fine, as far as I can see.

So, I'm curious about a couple of things. Am I gonna run into problems doing it this way? Why are there these two executables (not including the XP one)? What does everyone else do about preferences when using the portable version?

Also, I've been using that same PotPlayerMini64.ini file for years now, with no discernible hiccups, but I'm wondering, has this file not been updated somewhere along the line? Or, will it be altered somehow whe nused with the updated setup?