VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all: I work with a civil rights law firm and we were recently given a batch of VAC files, which are recorded prison phone calls. The file type seems to be proprietary by the company that facilitates the calls, GTL. They offer a player for the files, but we were hoping to convert them to WAV or MP3 so they could be played easily by multiple people.

I have tried to play VAC files on countless players, only their proprietary software plays them.

I have tried to convert on multiple conversion programs, nothing will recognize them.

I found a post here from 2016 that GTL offers a program to help with this, but I've called GTL and they said that they do not.

Is anybody familiar? Has anybody converted these in the past? Hoping for a holiday miracle here, thank you for even reading this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Part of the reason they may be proprietary may have to do with security and privacy, which bypassing can open a BIG can of worms.

But assuming you already have written approval from all involved parties (person at prison, other caller, prison/legal authorities/administration, GTL), it might be possible to do a playback-while-capture using the proprietary app and a "what you hear is what you get" audio card driver, or similarly enabled app.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply Scott. There are a massive amount of calls, we were hoping to use the audio capture route as a last resort.

And you're most likely right re: security & privacy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Off the top of my head, I know of NO apps that support that file format.

Although, it may be a nonproprietary format disguised as one to limit use. Check header similarities with known common formats using a hexeditor.
    However, you might still be confounded in doing an extension rename - even if it is common after all - if the data stream is encrypted. Very possible.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. I tried renaming the VACs to MP3 and WAV, but neither works. Importing to Audacity as "raw audio" just produces a hiss / glitch-core sound.

So it goes.
    Quote Quote