VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to import AviSynth script files into Sony Vegas. I know that's not a usual thing to do since AviSynth is used with VirtualDub, but I prefer Sony Vegas since it allows me to audio edit freely and gives me multiple file format options to render videos. Help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. How do I use that? Unfortunately there's no clear instructions given
    Quote Quote  
  3. https://turtlewar.org/avfs/
    https://turtlewar.org/avfs/avfs_1.0.0.6-readme.txt

I don't know if it works with Win 10 or 11. The few times I used it was with Win 7.
    Quote Quote  
  4. There is a readme.txt in the .zip
    Installation
    ------------

1) Install the latest Pismo File Mount Audit Package from
    http://www.pismotechnic.com/download/ .

2) Copy avfs.exe to a folder in your path. The c:\windows folder
    will work.

Operation
    ---------

To mount an Avisynth AVS script, from a cmd.exe prompt run:

>avfs.exe your.avs
    Now you will find in the C:\Volumes folder a link to the folder 'your.avs' which contains the virtual .avi which you can open in an NLE as if it were a real .avi.

Sidenote: In step 2 above I recommend to use the avfs.exe which one can extract from the portable vapoursynth archive because it supports newer 2.6 planar pixel types like YV16 as well.

And yes, it works with W10.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Using avfs.exe from vapoursynth portable package, without any other installation, in cmd prompt window (win10):
    "avfs.exe" "my_script.avs"
    or
    "avfs.exe" "my_script.vpy"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Doesn't work here without prior installation of Pismo File Mount Audit Package.
    Quote Quote  
  7. oh ok. It might need to register VSVFW.dll or wondering if it is just ok to have it in the same directory? http://www.vapoursynth.com/doc/output.html#avfs That VSVFW.dll is a part of that portable directory. I realized, installed vapoursynth already as well here on win10. I renamed that file and it still worked, but maybe it was already init before by vapoursynth installation.
    Last edited by _Al_; 18th Dec 2021 at 18:02.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just curious how importing script files will work in Vegas? I have Pro 16 and I either IVTC or QTGMC whatever files I'm working with, then edit the new rendered files in Vegas. Is there a way to save a render generation?
    Quote Quote  
  9. That's what this whole discussion has been about. AVFS makes an AviSynth script look like an AVI file to other programs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    How should it work? Because it doesn't work for me.

I did as above. After "avfs.exe 3.avs" in the "C:\Volumes" folder I have a "3.avs" folder with a "3.avs" file and "error.log" in it.
    No avi file.
    Last edited by rgr; 8th Jul 2023 at 16:17.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by rgr View Post
    How should it work? Because it doesn't work for me.

I did as above, After "avfs 3.avs" in the "C:\Volumes" folder I have a "3.avs" folder with a "3.avs" file and "error.log" in it.
    No avi file.
    Is 3.avs a valid script ? (can you preview in vdub2 or mpchc ?)

What is the pixel format ?

Open error.log with notepad, what does it say ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    1. Yes, its a valid script.
    Code:
    ffms2("0.avi")
    convertbits(bits=16)
    converttoyuv444(matrix="rec709")
    3. error.log is empty

Quote Quote  
  13. 16bit444 YUV is supported in avfs as "Y416" - you should see script.avi also in the directory. What version of avfs are you using ?

But even if you got it working, vegas does not support 16bit444 YUV import

For vegas and YUV imports, the vpy version of a script will be better for AVFS vegas, because you have fourcc emulation - You can avoid clipping because the uncompressed fourcc types of v210 for 10bit422, UYVY for 8bit422, and IYUV for 8bit420 - those are the preferred pixel types.

The common fourcc configurations like YV12 for 8bit420, YUY2 (or YV16) for 8bit422 that come out of avisynth will get clipped in Windows NLE's (not just sony vegas, magix vegas, PP, Edius, etc...), and undergo a forced conversion - limited range YUV to full range RGB immediately on import - clipping before you can salvage any superbrights, superdarks . If you correct for them before, it's less of an issue, but it still might be an unwanted conversion (especially for PP and Edius which have YUV capable timelines)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    I used avfs from VapourSynth package (152KB, x64) and this program doesn't work (as seen above). Now I found another one with a size of 45kB and this one works fine with the attached test file. But with my simple scripts it still doesn't want to :/
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    It looks like you just need to put in the script:
    convertbits(bits=10)
    and afvs no longer supports such a script.
    Quote Quote  
  16. In 2015 (the last time AVFS was updated) AviSynth didn't support 10 bit video. AviSynth also didn't support all the other new pixel formats that AviSynth+ now supports.

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Avisynthplus_color_formats

I suspect Vegas didn't support 10 bit video in those days either.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    But I have Avisynth+.

I understand that I won't have 10-bit support due to AVFS?

Quote Quote  
  18. 10bit420 is supported as "p010" (planar 10bit 420) in avisynth avfs ie. it works in some other programs - but vegas does not supported this pixel format

For 10bit YUV , vegas supports 10bit422 as "v210" (packed 10bit 422), but only through vapoursynth, because of it's fourcc emulation. Otherwise you get "p210" (planar 10bit 422) in avisynth avfs, which is not supported in vegas
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks, but it's not me who want to import the file into Vegas
    Nevertheless, I would like to see 10-bit files via AVFS . And it doesn't work for me.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Works for me...both 10bit and 16bit - but the planar formats get served in avisynth . No "pro" NLE like vegas will accept those pixel formats. You must use the packed fomats with fourcc emulation in vapoursynth script if that somebody wants to use it in vegas. Either that, or convert to RGB in the script and serve RGB

Make sure you're running the commandline version of avfs . I just verified the avfs in the portable vapoursynth archive R63 x64 works ok
    https://github.com/vapoursynth/vapoursynth/releases/download/R63/VapourSynth64-Portable-R63.7z

Code:
    colorbars(pixel_type="YUV420P10")

It might be your avs+ version is too old. I'm using 3.7.3 r3996 x64
    Quote Quote