VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I'd like to experiment with Linux and have two things on my mind. First, is there a particular 'distro' that maybe looks and feels like Windows?

And second, I love my MeGUI (which runs avisynth scripts). My needs aren't fancy: fadein fadeout, freezeframe and not much else. Can anyone confirm if MeGUI can be used with Linux (eg with Wine)? If not, what would be an easy to learn app that allows me to edit rather than just convert?

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pooksahib View Post
    Hi. I'd like to experiment with Linux and have two things on my mind. First, is there a particular 'distro' that maybe looks and feels like Windows?

And second, I love my MeGUI (which runs avisynth scripts). My needs aren't fancy: fadein fadeout, freezeframe and not much else. Can anyone confirm if MeGUI can be used with Linux (eg with Wine)? If not, what would be an easy to learn app that allows me to edit rather than just convert?

Many thanks.
    there's several linux distros that have the look & feel like windows like linux mint - https://itsfoss.com/windows-like-linux-distributions/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Avisynth on Linux through wine is a pain an at least in my experience far from stable, better switch to Vapoursynth.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by pooksahib View Post
    Hi. I'd like to experiment with Linux and have two things on my mind. First, is there a particular 'distro' that maybe looks and feels like Windows?

Many thanks.
    there's several linux distros that have the look & feel like windows like linux mint - https://itsfoss.com/windows-like-linux-distributions/
    I've been using mint for a while and it doesn't look and feel any more like windows than any other Linux distro. I've seen too many Linux newbies who thought that Linux was a free version of Windows. It may be possible to make a desktop that LOOKS like WIndows, it's been done, but it's never going to work or feel like Windows. Which you'd find as soon as you look for your C: drive. There's no C: drive in Linux, The file system is organized logically rather than physically. And that's just a start.

And you're not going to get a MeGUI duplicate in Linux either. Here's a list of alternatives, none are even close: https://alternativeto.net/software/megui/?platform=linux

And do NOT get seduced by all those crap Linux blogs that say that you can run your Windows apps in Linux using Wine or its derivatives like crossover or playonlinux. Wine is a stupid hack that fails more often than not.

I'm not telling you not to use Linux, I use it, I have no Windows anymore and I don't want it. But you need to have realistic expectations.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks to you all.
    Quote Quote