VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found an ould VHS tape with family moments and wanted to get it converted so I can play it on my PC. I have an old Panasonic DMR-ES35V video recorder that can directly copy the VHS tape to DVD. After recording the DVD plays fine on the TV, but the problem is that when I insert it in my computer (troed on both Windows and Apple) but it does not recognize the media. It tells me that no media is inserted. Has anyone any good suggestions regarding this?
    Thanks for any ideas.
    Inger
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. Did you 'finalise' the disk ?
    2. There are two modes of recording. a) Video Recording mode and b) Video Mode. Only b) is guaranteed to work in a PC
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Re 1. Tried both. None of them worked. Couldn’t see the disk on the pc either way.
    Re 2. I had no idea. Do you know how I can check what this setting is set to?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank for a great piece of advice. Found the setting. Works like a charm 👍😊
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good to know.

I was going to point you to the user manual which would have covered the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It did ��. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well one step further in the process, I have now recorded a DVD and successfully played it from the Panasonic DVD player. When inserting it into my Windows PC it will play fine some of the way, but then it gets delayed and stops at intervals. I have tried copying the contents just as directories, which proves unsuccessful and I have tried creating an iso image which is equally unsuccessful. Both seem to take forever and the iso utility tells me that there are many bad sectors on the disk. The disk is recorded as a SP format. Any suggestions on what I might try?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Likely the quality of your burnable media. What brand are you using ?

Try to source some Verbatim Azo 16x. Your manual will also guide you as to what speed of disks will optimally work.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sony DVD +R Ver 1.3/1x-16x 120 min/4,7GB
    Not my expertise at all, but I have used them quite a lot with no problems. Just a bit old - does that matter?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony do not actually make the disks that show their name. And the actual manuf. will change over the years.

Of course it could also be that the laser on your PC dvd drive is dying which can cause read issues.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could be. It’s almost at the same time on the DVD the problem starts. Tried different VHS tapes and a few different DVD’s now. Still the same. Considering a converter cable to connect video out to USB on my pc
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If the issue occurs near the end of the disc it's probably bad discs your burning with,are all the dvds you tried the same brand?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately it’s only the first 5-6 min that are playing fine. Then the problems start and get continually worse with time played. Starting to wonder if my PC’s DVD player is bad. The DVD plays perfectly on the videoplayer.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like your pc player.Can you try the disc on another disc drive?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did. Problem is that it’s just as old as the other one, so I’m uncertain what it proves.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But if it plays in the other one it kinda proves that the player is the issue now. Different drives will have different life-spans due to useage and other factors.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, sorry. I forgot the very important point that it played just as terrible in the second one, which is an old macbook pro. That’s why I’m uncertain what it proves.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I would try other media now. Do try to get the Verbatim I mentioned earlier. And do try -R disks not +R just in case these old players have issues (it has been known) with +R media. There is a lot of cheap media out there some with well known names on them.

But I do guess that you played the disk all the way through on the machine you created it on.
    Quote Quote