VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. They claim 5.3K video at up to 60fps, 4K video at up to 120fps, and 2.7k video at up to 240fps.
    Those claims seem a little far fetched, as even assuming it's h264 compressed video, if the quality is any good that's going to be a very high bit rate. Furthermore, h264 algorithm is an advanced algorithm, and compressing video with that high of an input data rate as the raw video that this camera would be capturing, would probably require a dedicated ASIC chip of some kind to do the compression, not an ordinary microcontroller. And even if that would be possible, I doubt that even a high speed SD card (like SDHC or SDXC) in the GoPro could handle recording at the bit rate of even the compressed video stream. Most likely it would need a high speed SSD drive to temporarily store it before copying it to the SD card. However that ASIC and an SSD solution would be very expensive, far more than the price of an actual GoPro Hero 10 camera.

Professional high speed cameras like the Phantom usually directly record RAW video to an ultra high speed internal SSD drive (usually that drive is made by the camera maker, as a custom purpose-built device that's optimized to handle high speed video data, and the associated circuits are all likewise optimized, everything optimized for the sole purpose of it being a high speed camera). Cheaper options like the Nikon-1 J5, first record 3 seconds of high speed raw video into a high speed RAM buffer, and then compress it with h264 codec and save it to an SD card as an MP4 video file. And some other cheap cellphones claiming high speed video capability actually record at a normal 30 or 60fps and then interpolate to get 120, 240, or more faked fps.

What technique is the GoPro Hero 10 using for these astonishingly high framerate-resolution combinations? I doubt it uses the techniques of a professional high speed video camera. So I'm guessing it either has very limited recording duration like the Nikon-1 J5, or it outright fakes the high framerate with interpolation.

Has anybody here actually tested it to see if it has genuine 240fps at 2.7k video, 120fps at 4k video, and 60fps at 5.3k video? And if so, how long is its recording duration at those very high bitrate settings? The website doesn't go into this much detail. If it truly didn't fake the high frame rates that would be a selling point I think they would mention but they don't. If it didn't have a significantly limited recording duration (like only a couple seconds) when recording at these frame rates I also think they would mention that as a selling point, but they don't. This would be an opportunity to show how much better their camera was than competitors with cameras that take shortcuts to claim high speed video cheaply. But they don't do that. They only list resolutions and associated maximum frame rates, which is also what their competitors do when they cut corners to avoid admitting to flaws in their system. So I seriously hope that someone out there has done some really good testing of the GoPro Hero 10, regarding its high speed video capabilities.
    Quote Quote  
  2. All good questions. I have a GoPro9 so can't answer your concerns. But, there was a lot of complaints of overheating on the GoPro10 supposedly fixed later by an update.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    All good questions. I have a GoPro9 so can't answer your concerns. But, there was a lot of complaints of overheating on the GoPro10 supposedly fixed later by an update.
    Assuming that the 9 and 10 have similar hardware and firmware, and thus similar recording capabilities, maybe you can check the actual high speed recording ability of your gopro 9? Try recording something that's fast and who's motion is random enough that any motion interpolation the camera did would be obvious in glitches in the video. Also check to see how long it can record in high speed mode, and if recording for too long in high speed mode resulted in loss of footage at the start of the video (evidence of too short of a circular buffer being used for high speed mode).
    Quote Quote  
  4. You asked me to do a test. Sorry, too busy with the horses here at the ranch to do any videoing at this time. Isn't there a dedicated forum for GoPros? Find that forum and ask there. I'm sure someone there has purchased a GoPro 10 and should be able to help you.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote