VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to capture a VHS tape to a computer using a JVC HRS-7800U and a Canopus ADVC 100. When I do it with TBC turned off, the video skips a lot of frames. Playback of the recorded video obviously skips around from parts not being recorded. When TBC is turned on, the video looks likes this? Capturing camcorder tapes worked fine. Any suggestions?

[Attachment 62232 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That degree of tearing will overrun the JVC TBC. ES10/15 required here. Excess data is missing at the start of the signal. The aggressive ES10/15 line TBC will fix it. But you'll likely still need frame TBC, or again dropped frames. The non-TBC frame sync in the ES10/15 will get overrun. You can get away with a cheaper DVK as TBC(ish) combo with the ES10/15.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm going to have to research a bit of what you wrote. Here's what it looks like with TBC turned off.

[Attachment 62233 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  4. I plugged the VCR directly into the TV, with TBC turned off, and the picture played perfectly. No skipping, no waves at the top. Why does it have the errors when used with the ADVC 100?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    That degree of tearing will overrun the JVC TBC. ES10/15 required here. Excess data is missing at the start of the signal. The aggressive ES10/15 line TBC will fix it. But you'll likely still need frame TBC, or again dropped frames. The non-TBC frame sync in the ES10/15 will get overrun. You can get away with a cheaper DVK as TBC(ish) combo with the ES10/15.
    Ok, I've done a little research. With JVC's TBC turned off, the tape has some flickering. When turning TBC on, some flickering goes away, but the wave in my first picture shows up. Does this mean, turning TBC on fixes what it can, but also causes problems? The somewhat fix is to buy a Panasonic es10 or es15 and run it between the JVC and Canopus? Is it normal for a VCR to make parts of a tape worse, when "enabling" TBC?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When the timing error is serious, it overruns the buffer/etc of the line TBC.
    Yes, normal. Not common, but happens.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote