VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there a tool that provides a timeline-style interface for adding chapters to MKV files? I'd like to playback a file, then stop and insert a chapter marker where appropriate, then continue. The only way I've done it for years is by playing the video in a separate player, then typing the start time in an app like MKVtoolnix GUI, then repeating. It's generally a time-consuming, trial-and-error process. Anyone find an easier way?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hurricane1951 View Post
    Is there a tool that provides a timeline-style interface for adding chapters to MKV files? I'd like to playback a file, then stop and insert a chapter marker where appropriate, then continue. The only way I've done it for years is by playing the video in a separate player, then typing the start time in an app like MKVtoolnix GUI, then repeating. It's generally a time-consuming, trial-and-error process. Anyone find an easier way?
    Me too! I have a need to split several MKV files each into 12+ individual files that contain the episodes of some old TV series. No chapter markings in the MKV file, all the eps were simply appended which is a real pain.

So a visual indication is needed like an conventional video editing to assist in marking where the splits should be. I really wish MKVToolNix had this provision. Its easy enough to split on existing chapters but where there are none it's a tedious process of viewing the file and writing down the time code. As it would only be splitting no re-encoding would be involved.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote