VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DVD box set with one faulty disk. I managed to copy this to the hard drive using AnyDVD intending to burn it to a DVD-R.
    However is is dual layer which my burner isn't.
    So I tried to use Handbrake to make mkv files on each episode. However HB only shows me 2 files:

Title: 1 (00:00:47)
    Source: C:\Users\Desktop\CF\dvd\VIDEO_TS
    Title: 6 (00:02:11)
    Source: C:\Users\Desktop\CF\dvd\VIDEO_TS

Is there any way to make HB to do all episodes? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Can you PLAY the DVD from the hard drive?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    However is is dual layer which my burner isn't.
    If it can burn DVD±Rs it can burn Double Layer as well. You just need a DVD±R DL blank.
    Or use DVDShrink to shrink the disc down to single layer size.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No I can't play it from the HDD, only the first 2 short items which are trailers for other things and thought VLC was not showing a Top Menu.
    I'm now thinking my rip is faulty even though no errors were reported. Nero tells me (when making an image) that several .BUP files
    are not identical.
    @Skiller thanks for telling me I never knew that. And have never seen a DL blank. Shows what i know!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The plot continues, I changed to a brand new optical drive and it seems to read the disk ok now. But results are identical. I can only play the first 2 trailers in VLC or see them in HB. After playing them it does nothing. If I rip the disk with AnyDVD there's 20 files, of which only 2 are more than 14KB. The 2 trailers?
    But if I look at it in Explorer I see 33 files, 5 of which are over 1GB. They must be the files I want. Is there any way I can access them ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try makemkv.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This DVD may have structural copy protections and possibly bogus Titlesets to complicate ripping.
    It should however play fine using a proper DVD-player software such as PowerDVD (VLC sucks big time for DVD).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This has been quite a revelation. Yes the disk plays on Panasonic DVDR. After the 2 trailers a menu appears and everything (so far) lloks ok.
    I installed make mkv which outputted:
    MakeMKV v1.16.5 win(x64-release) started
    Using direct disc access mode
    Title #1 was added (5 cell(s), 0:25:58)
    Title #2 was added (8 cell(s), 0:36:21)
    Title #3 was added (10 cell(s), 0:49:42)
    Title #4 was added (10 cell(s), 0:50:23)
    Title #5 has length of 47 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
    Cells 1-1 were removed from title start
    Cells 3-3 were removed from title end
    Title #6 was added (1 cell(s), 0:02:10)
    Title #7 has length of 15 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
    Title #10 has length of 100 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
    Title #11 has length of 73 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
    Title #13 has length of 63 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
    Title #15 has length of 49 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
    CellWalk algorithm failed (structure protection is too tough?), trying CellTrim algorithm
    Title #17/0/1 has length of 100 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
    Title #17/0/2 has length of 73 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
    Cells 2-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
    CellWalk algorithm failed (structure protection is too tough?), trying CellTrim algorithm
    Title #19/0/1 has length of 63 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
    Title #19/0/2 was added (1 cell(s), 0:02:10)
    Title #19/0/3 has length of 49 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
    Title #20 was added (1 cell(s), 0:02:36)
    Title #21 has length of 51 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
    Title #22 has length of 73 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
    Cells 1-1 were removed from title start
    Cells 3-3 were removed from title end
    Title #23 was added (1 cell(s), 0:02:36)
    Title #24 has length of 52 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
    Title #25 has length of 74 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
    Title 4 in VTS 5 is equal to title 1 and was skipped

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:UNRECOVERED READ ERROR' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL PLEXTOR PX-891SAF 1.JI 3743524772 2F8851500600' at offset '0'

(The above line was repeated 30 times) then

The source file 'DVD+R-DL PLEXTOR PX-891SAF 1.JI 3743524772 2F8851500600' is corrupt or invalid at offset 30720, attempting to work around
    The source file 'DVD+R-DL PLEXTOR PX-891SAF 1.JI 3743524772 2F8851500600' is corrupt or invalid at offset 30720, attempting to work around
    Encountered 36 errors of type 'Read Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/dvdread/
    Operation successfully completed

I could then see about 6 titles all ticked and clicked the Save icon.
    Currently working and progress about 20%
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Time remaining is increasing and many more errors being reported. This is near-new disk (no scratches etc) and new DVD .
    The files copied to HDD without reporting errors. Any thoughts on that?
    Can I use those files with MakeMKV instead of the optical disk?
    Are these actual problems or intentional bugs to make copying harder?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Time remaining is increasing and many more errors being reported. This is near-new disk (no scratches etc) and new DVD .
    The files copied to HDD without reporting errors. Any thoughts on that?
    Can I use those files with MakeMKV instead of the optical disk?
    Are these actual problems or intentional bugs to make copying harder?
    MakeMKV may not be updated enough to handle the disc, try using dvdfab
    which is frequently updated to handle the latest copy protections.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, ran up DVDFab but very complicated and full of nags. But only seemed to want to copy to optical disk. Can it copy to HDD do you know ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, ran up DVDFab but very complicated and full of nags. But only seemed to want to copy to optical disk. Can it copy to HDD do you know ?
    yes, it will copy to your HDD first.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not the one I have... no choice, optical or nothing. I do suspect there's something wrongwith the disk as in manufacture. It's also 2007 so no new wizardry.
    But something must let it move after the 2 trailers to the main menu. Would have tried PowerDVD but a bit pricey.
    Quote Quote