VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. As the title says I'm trying to get the fps down to that 23.976 that's the actual fps of this anime DVD before PAL conversion to 25. There are so some blended frames too. After I deinterlaced it, it stayed at 25 fps but I'm not sure what to do from here. Are there duplicate frames and do I decimate down to 23.976 or do I just use AssumeFPS to manually set it to 23.976 (to account for slowing it 4% down).

I'm not exactly sure how to check for dupes properly though. I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but do I just check any random frame and framestep from there to see if there's a dupe? It confuses me because sometimes in animation frames are held on 2s or 3s so I'm not sure if there could be a dupe there. This is also being done in vapoursynth.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If it's a field blended conversion (most likely if it's Anime and PAL and interlaced) your only chance is to bob-deinterlace with your favorite bob-deinterlacer to 50p and then use Srestore to deblend and decimate to 23.976.
    Good luck, I gave up on that endeavor as I never got results that were good enough.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It seems to be a field blended conversion, but my goal isn't necessarily to primarily deblend but just simply bring it down to the right fps. I have never used srestore before, how would I go about using it in VS with QGTMC. I'm a bit skeptical on it because I heard it can drop the wrong frames
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hihflappy View Post
    I heard it can drop the wrong frames
    That's the issue and why I gave up. I could never get it to spit out smooth 23.976 video under all circumstances. Your mileage may vary. Admittedly, most field blended Anime PAL conversions I've seen are so full of conversion artifacts and MPEG2 blocking they are quite hard to properly deblend and thus as a result it is hard (for a plugin) to differentiate the real frames from the ones that are just garbage.

Unless you already got QTGMC going (needs a ton of plugins), maybe start with a simple fast bob-deinterlacer first, such as Yadifmod.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hihflappy View Post
    srestore... I'm a bit skeptical on it because I heard it can drop the wrong frames
    Depending on how badly the source is messed up it may make some mistakes. But it will do a shitload better than anything else, aside from manually picking out the frames -- which will take you months. I believe Hybrid supports QTGMC and SRestore -- that will save you the trouble of setting everything up yourself.

If you want to see an example, upload a sample of your source. Don't reencode it. Include a longish medium speed panning shot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    All this for cartoons?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Shouldn't it be 24fps instead?

Edit: nah, this is NTSC-PAL conversation
    Quote Quote  
  8. All this for cartoons?
    Anime aren't cartoons, they are cartoons made by the Japanese.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    But it will do a shitload better than anything else
    I found simply bobbing to 50 FPS and leaving it like that the best solution. After all, that is exactly what you would see on a TV.

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    All this for cartoons?
    Why not?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    But it will do a shitload better than anything else
    I found simply bobbing to 50 FPS and leaving it like that the best solution. After all, that is exactly what you would see on a TV.
    When QTGMC().SRestore() works well it's much better than what you would see on TV. I only resort to bob-only (QTGMC(), usually) on really bad cases where there have been multiple NTSC/PAL conversions, or other severe abuse.
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st Dec 2021 at 10:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I agree, it would, if it works well for your video. I haven't had luck with that.

It's the decimation that gets confused by dirty frames full of MPEG2 blocking and normconversion artefacts and then makes bad decisions on which frames to keep and which to discard. Adjusting the parameters or even using a separete, filtered clip for analyzing makes it good in this scene but worse in another... I suppose real life videos must be easier to work with here since they always use the full 24 fps whereas Anime and Cartoons only use the full frame rate for panning shots.
    I found bobbing an acceptable result, especially considering I don't have to worry about jerkyness at all since nothing gets discarded.
    Quote Quote