VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

I have just purchased a Sony HVR-M15AN with which I want to transfer Mini-DV in HDV format.
    The problem is that I connect it by Firewire with a 6-pin to 6-pin cable and the computer does not recognize the device, there is no kind of reaction, as if it were not plugged in. I find it weird because I have 3 other camcorders that I connect with 6-pin to 4-pin firewire and they were all instantly recognized, both by Windows and by Scelive or HDVSplit.

Anyone know what can it be? I touched all the settings that I could inside the machine but I couldn't get it to connect.

I am attaching the manual in case someone can find a solution that I did not see.
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/412870/Sony-Hvr-M15au-Professional-Video-Cassete-Rec...er-Player.html

Thank you very much for the help
    Image Attached Thumbnails hvrm15au__professional_video_cassete_recorderplayer.pdf  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Page 45 is quite specific on the order of connecting AND the settings of the device BEFORE you connect to a computer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I don't think you can transfer DV as HDV. Also check the deck standard, Is it in PAL or NTSC, Windows 10 is picky about this, If your computer is in the 60i region and you are trying to use the deck as 50i it may not show up.

Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DV_HDV.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	62086  

Last edited by dellsam34; 30th Nov 2021 at 16:56.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Page 45 is quite specific on the order of connecting AND the settings of the device BEFORE you connect to a computer.
    Seguí los pasos y no consigo que la computadora reconozca el equipo. Me parece extraño, a través de las salidas RCA la señal sale correctamente pero sin embargo conectar o desconectar el cable Firewire, reiniciar el HVR-M15AN o reiniciar el ordenador parece no tener ningún efecto.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I don't think you can transfer DV as HDV. Also check the deck standard, Is it in PAL or NTSC, Windows 10 is picky about this, If your computer is in the 60i region and you are trying to use the deck as 50i it may not show up.

The cassette that I am driving are HDV 50i, from what I understand from that table the HDV i.link output should work
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ferggue View Post
    Seguí los pasos y no consigo que la computadora reconozca el equipo. Me parece extraño, a través de las salidas RCA la señal sale correctamente pero sin embargo conectar o desconectar el cable Firewire, reiniciar el HVR-M15AN o reiniciar el ordenador parece no tener ningún efecto.

Whatever that translates to. And I am not about to find out.

Write in English as you already did.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ferggue View Post

Whatever that translates to. And I am not about to find out.

Write in English as you already did.
    Sorry, I use the google translator, copy and paste my Spanish version.

I followed the steps indicated on page 45, also page 46, I cannot get the computer to recognize the equipment. It seems strange to me, through the RCA outputs the signal comes out correctly but nevertheless connecting or disconnecting the Firewire cable, restarting the HVR-M15AN or restarting the computer does not seem to have any effect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For the purpose of clarity (you can use you translator then) here is the important bit from Page 45:-

Be sure to connect the i.LINK cable to the computer
    (editing machine) first and then connect it to the unit.

If you connect the i.LINK cable to the unit first, it may

cause the unit to malfunction because of static

electricity.

• When the unit is connected to a computer equipped

with an i.LINK jack and you intend to disconnect or

reconnect the i.LINK cable, turn off the computer and

pull out the plug of its power cord from the wall outlet

beforehand. If you connect or disconnect the i.LINK

cable while the computer is connected to the AC outlet,

high-voltage current (8 to 40 V) is output from the

i.LINK jack of the device to the unit, which may cause

a malfunction.

• Before connecting the i.LINK cable, set [HDV/DV

SEL] and [i.LINK SET] in the [IN/OUT REC] menu.

If you perform the settings after connecting the cable,

the computer (editing machine) may not recognize the

unit correctly or may freeze.

• If you input or output signals in a format incompatible

with the computer (editing machine), the computer

may not recognize the unit correctly or may freeze.

• When set to EE mode, the unit outputs analog signals

that are input from the HDV/DV jack to the

computer. S VIDEO or VIDEO signals are output

from the HDV/DV jack, according to the setting of

the INPUT SELECT switch. To output the playback

image from the unit through the HDV/DV jack only,

set the INPUT SELECT switch to HDV/DV

You may have to perform a reset on the unit if you did not follow these instructions the first time. Not withstanding that there is a fault on the unit or some circuitry has been damaged by a wrong connection.

BTW My understanding is that the additional 2 pins (6 instead of 4) carry power hence the caution when connecting.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For the purpose of clarity (you can use you translator then) here is the important bit from Page 45:-

Be sure to connect the i.LINK cable to the computer
    (editing machine) first and then connect it to the unit.

If you connect the i.LINK cable to the unit first, it may

cause the unit to malfunction because of static

electricity.

• When the unit is connected to a computer equipped

with an i.LINK jack and you intend to disconnect or

reconnect the i.LINK cable, turn off the computer and

pull out the plug of its power cord from the wall outlet

beforehand. If you connect or disconnect the i.LINK

cable while the computer is connected to the AC outlet,

high-voltage current (8 to 40 V) is output from the

i.LINK jack of the device to the unit, which may cause

a malfunction.

• Before connecting the i.LINK cable, set [HDV/DV

SEL] and [i.LINK SET] in the [IN/OUT REC] menu.

If you perform the settings after connecting the cable,

the computer (editing machine) may not recognize the

unit correctly or may freeze.

• If you input or output signals in a format incompatible

with the computer (editing machine), the computer

may not recognize the unit correctly or may freeze.

• When set to EE mode, the unit outputs analog signals

that are input from the HDV/DV jack to the

computer. S VIDEO or VIDEO signals are output

from the HDV/DV jack, according to the setting of

the INPUT SELECT switch. To output the playback

image from the unit through the HDV/DV jack only,

set the INPUT SELECT switch to HDV/DV

You may have to perform a reset on the unit if you did not follow these instructions the first time. Not withstanding that there is a fault on the unit or some circuitry has been damaged by a wrong connection.

BTW My understanding is that the additional 2 pins (6 instead of 4) carry power hence the caution when connecting.
    I followed the steps and there is no way for my computer to recognize the device.

Attached is a video of the HVR-M15AN setup menu, captured with my Diamond VC-500 USB via RCA output. Also attached is a capture with the HDV Split that shows that it does not recognize anything connected.

thanks for helping
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	62092  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Unfortunately there are too many variables that can contribute to the problem and therefore I don't think a solution can be guaranteed over a forum discussion, Check your firewire cable, try another cable, check your firewire card and make sure if you are on Win 10 you have a compatible firewire card and running legacy drivers, check the firewire ports for damage or corrosion, try to connect to a different computer to make sure the deck's firewire chip is not fried during previous attempts.

One last thing, try EE instead of PB and see what happens, I think mine did the same thing when I first got it. Also have you tried rebooting the computer while the deck playing a tape and connected to the PC with a firewire cable? Good luck.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 1st Dec 2021 at 04:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You appear to have 'EE Mode' set to EE. According to the instructions on Page 45 that outputs Analog not Digital. Maybe ? (But you might have set that just for the RCA output)

But there is also a warning that ANY change in settings must be made with the I-link device, the computer in your case, turned off.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just discovered something that can help you spot the problem.

1- When I have the VCR connected via Firewire and turned on, the computer does not recognize my Mini-DV camera connected via Firewire to the same PCI input.

2- When I have the VCR connected via Firewire and turned off, the computer recognizes my Mini-DV camera connected via Firewire to the same PCI input.

I think the VCR must be causing some voltage problem. For whatever reason, when VCR it is turned on and connected, other cameras fail in the same way as the VCR itself.

PS: Without having the VCR connected, I can turn on two camcorders via Firewire and the computer recognizes both devices.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It's possible that you have fried your HDV VCR firewire chip and now causing a short to the PCI card firewire ports. You must have the deck checked by a repair technician.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have multiple inputs on the firewire card ?

What happens if you connect 2 cameras (you said you have more than one) at the same time ?

What happens if no camera is connected/plugged in ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My PCI Firewire card has three 6-pin inputs.

When I have two video cameras connected, the PC correctly recognizes both. In fact I usually capture 2 DV videos at the same time by opening two instances of Scenalizer.

In the case of the VCR, I was testing it without any camera connected, but then it occurred to me to connect a camera to see what happened. And as I mentioned in my previous post, when the VCR is on, the computer does not recognize the video cameras, but when the VCR is off, the computer does recognize the video cameras.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am on the same page as delisam34 right now. Somewhere along the line there is an electrical issue with the unit.

Obviously there is power else nothing would work. But that does not mean that the unit was not faulty on delivery or some other inadvertent error in the setup process.

Of course you could try a complete system reset. Even un-plugging from the mains and leave it for 24/48 hours just in case some static has been built up. And then try it all again.
    Quote Quote