VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am having a problem copying a disc with DVDFAB. The problem is that it will only copy 61% before becoming stagnant for the next 24 hours. Then, I discontinue the copying process. I have tried twice to copy the disc. There are no scratches or smears on the disc! I am using the latest version of DVDFAB! The disc is part of a 3-disc tv series set. I was able to successfully copy the first two discs.

What is the problem? How do I fix this so that I can copy the disc?

Also, I have tried DVD Shrink, and that is considerably worse.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jarod1005 View Post
    I am having a problem copying a disc with DVDFAB. The problem is that it will only copy 61% before becoming stagnant for the next 24 hours. Then, I discontinue the copying process. I have tried twice to copy the disc. There are no scratches or smears on the disc! I am using the latest version of DVDFAB! The disc is part of a 3-disc tv series set. I was able to successfully copy the first two discs.

What is the problem? How do I fix this so that I can copy the disc?

Also, I have tried DVD Shrink, and that is considerably worse.
    start dvdfab, click the common settings (upper right hand corner) click dvd - pathplayer - disable pathplayer
    restart dvdfab and retry the disc again and see if it'll copy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Also turn hardware and software retries down to 2 or thereabouts.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Where are hardware and software retries located?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try a different disc drive. I have had this issue once in awhile with DVDs and it is almost certainly related to the drive. I do not like these new slim, portable drives. I would recommend a couple of Pioneer internal drives (and then buy a couple of external enclosures for them if your PC doesn't have optical drive bays like mine lacks). My issues have always been related to junk LG drives. Pioneer and ASUS are all I use now.

I see several posts you have made regarding the same topic over the months. I have a feeling your optical drive is just poo.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jarod1005 View Post
    Where are hardware and software retries located?
    Sorry, it's DVD Decrypter that has the retry settings. As I recall the defaults are 20 for each. The problem is that each retry takes 10 to 30 seconds. Each time the software reads a block the drive automatically makes the specified number of hardware retries. So 20 hardware retries takes 200 to 600 seconds. Then the software makes the specified number of software retries. So 20 software retries times 20 hardware retries means 400 retries in all. So a single unreadable block will take 4000 to 12000 seconds. If there are many bad blocks, and if there's one there's usually more, it will take forever. In my experience, if a block doesn't read within a few retries it's not going to read -- there's no need for dozens or hundred of retries.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I think the dvd is defective.
    Try isopuzzle to read the disk to an iso file, then rip from this iso.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Is this a pressed commercial DVD or a burned DVD R/RW?
    Quote Quote  
  9. If it's a very new release you may have to wait for DVDFab to be updated.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks for the help. It finally copied. The only thing that I did was follow the first reply about disabling the path player. It took it's sweet time, though. Once it got to 61%, it remained there for about an hour, then it went to 62%, 64%... and then finished.

I have another disc that has some kind of marks on it, but it will play without skipping or freezing in the DVD player. The problem is that once it gets to 2%, it will be stuck there forever. Any suggestions on how to copy this disc?
    Quote Quote