Which Linux OS is more suitable to run;
    Kdenlive - the alternative to AviSynth

Kdenlive
    https://kdenlive.org/en/

Debian ?
    Ubuntu ?
    Linux Mint ?

Please advise. Thanks

Furthermore any folk has run AviSynth on Linux OS ? Does it work ? Does it need to run on wine ?

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. It should work on any distro but I think the 'K' might hint it is best with the K Desktop Environment (KDE). I can confirm it works well on Kubuntu.

I have no idea about AviSynth but there is a good chance it works in Wine or Crossover. You may not need it though, Linux video apps are plentiful and there is probably a native alternative available.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with what betwixt says about Kdenlive and have used it on quite a few distros over the years. It used to be that it would only work properly on KDE desktop, but that doesn't seem to be the case any more.

Vapoursynth appears to be a replacement for Avisynth, although I have never used either. It depends on which distro you pick as to what is in the repo. For example in the two distros I am running both are in the Manjaro repositories, although only Vapoursynth is available for MXLinux as a Flatpak, which suggests it can be used on any distro that will run Flatpaks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by betwixt View Post
    It should work on any distro but I think the 'K' might hint it is best with the K Desktop Environment (KDE). I can confirm it works well on Kubuntu.
    Hi Brian,

Thanks for your advice.

Can it works on Gnome desktop? I'm running Oracle VirtualBox here. I can create an Ubuntu 20.04 VM running KDE desktop for testing. Most times I run Gnome desktop.

I have no idea about AviSynth but there is a good chance it works in Wine or Crossover. You may not need it though, Linux video apps are plentiful and there is probably a native alternative available.
    As far as I know there is an AviSynth+ version for Linux. I'm running both Windows and Linux here. I have been trying to install VirtualDub and VirtualDub2 on Windows 10 without success. It took me spending 4 days working on it without a solution therefore I'm considering coming back to Linux in video editing.

Kdenlive is on Ubuntu 20.04 repo. Where can I find documents re writing scripts for Kdenlive? Thanks

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DeJay View Post
    I agree with what betwixt says about Kdenlive and have used it on quite a few distros over the years. It used to be that it would only work properly on KDE desktop, but that doesn't seem to be the case any more.
    Hi DeJay,

Thanks for your advice. I have no problem running KDE desktop.

Vapoursynth appears to be a replacement for Avisynth, although I have never used either. It depends on which distro you pick as to what is in the repo. For example in the two distros I am running both are in the Manjaro repositories, although only Vapoursynth is available for MXLinux as a Flatpak, which suggests it can be used on any distro that will run Flatpaks.
    I have been running Red Hat, Ubuntu, Debian, Linux Mint, Gentoo, Fedora etc. in the past but never ran Flatpak before.

Just found;
    What is Flatpak?
    https://itsfoss.com/what-is-flatpak/

I'll try it, just creating a Flatpak VM on Orcale VirtualBox for testing.

Now the most import thing for me is where can I find documents re creating scripts for Vapoursynth ?

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

A further question;

Which one shall I select Vapoursynth or Kdenlive ?

I found following links on Internet

Andrew's Tutorial Blog
    Tutorial - Using VapourSynth vs AVISynth+ for QTGMC: Round One
    http://macilatthefront.blogspot.com/2018/12/using-vapoursynth-for-qtgmc-round-one.html

AviSynth vs AviSynth+ vs VapourSynth: which one should I choose?
    https://video.stackexchange.com/questions/28548/avisynth-vs-avisynth-vs-vapoursynth-wh...hould-i-choose

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why limit yourself? Install them both and see which you prefer. Try all the others too: Openshot, Shotcut, Cinelerra, Flowblade, Pititvi, Lives, even Blender which edits video too. All open source and free. My personal preference? Cinelerra-GG.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DeJay View Post
    Why limit yourself? Install them both and see which you prefer. Try all the others too: Openshot, Shotcut, Cinelerra, Flowblade, Pititvi, Lives, even Blender which edits video too. All open source and free. My personal preference? Cinelerra-GG.
    Thanks for your advice.

I have tried Blender and OpenShot before. They can't help me. The video were taken with a Sony V8 Video camera in about 1990. The video works no problem on cathode-ray tube TV. But the video is not clear on today's display. I have increased the resolution from 720 to 1920 but the result was not good. The size of the video increased 5 times.

I'll try Kdenline on Ubuntu 20.04, gnome desktop first. If it doesn't work good I'll change it to KDE desktop.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    ... I have tried Blender and OpenShot before. They can't help me. The video were taken with a Sony V8 Video camera in about 1990. The video works no problem on cathode-ray tube TV. But the video is not clear on today's display. I have increased the resolution from 720 to 1920 but the result was not good. The size of the video increased 5 times.

I'll try Kdenline on Ubuntu 20.04, gnome desktop first. If it doesn't work good I'll change it to KDE desktop.
    That's not a problem that could be solved by changing video editors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use it in Gnome DE and KDE Plasma as well (Zorin OS(Ubuntu 20.04) and Garuda OS (Arch)). Blender is also very good...both are top notch
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    That's not a problem that could be solved by changing video editors.
    Couldn't agree more. See the OP's former threads on the subject.
    Last edited by Sharc; 25th Dec 2021 at 05:13.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    for the CRT view, were you playing the original analog tape? how was the original analog tape digitized?

lots of old TV shows are being digitized not from the videotapes but from the original film copies. and there's a reason or two for that.
    Quote Quote