VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Peter Jackson produced a new get back moviez which will be premiering in less then 5 days

Video work on it is horrendous in my opinion. What do you all think of this

Quote Quote  
  2. screensòht looks over smoothed, but without knowing what they were working with as source who can tell whether they did a good or bad job?
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    screensòht looks over smoothed, but without knowing what they were working with as source who can tell whether they did a good or bad job?
    https://youtu.be/AjStytdhgdw but less compressed
    Quote Quote  
  4. "but less compressed" so that says nothing
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  5. Not so bad, for me, when you consider when and with what hardware the original was recorded.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Much of what I've seen of it is just random zoomed shots of footage placed over top of audio/music that has nothing to do with the actual events of the music itself so.....don't really give a ****.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When one considers what the 'Let it be' video on the Beatles 1 (+) looked like (noisy etc.) there must be an improvement.

But it is also rather easy to overdo it.

I would compare this with the blu ray of Magical Mystery Tour which I also believe was shot on 16mm film. That came out IMO rather well.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It also depends on personal taste: Selur does not like excessive smoothing (I tend to agree with him), I do not like excessive grain and noise but also dislike strong plastic look, others may have different preferences.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ And the personal taste of the restorer.

These days the human eye has become more used to the 'shot on HD video' effect. If this was presented in a more 'naked'/'film' manner I can virtually guarantee that there would be just as many, if not more, complaints.

But I just hope that this is not confined to an online showing.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

But I just hope that this is not confined to an online showing.
    As you certainly know, there's no technical reason it can't be wrapped in a DCP and shown theatrically. How they'll market a 6 hour show is a different question. Maybe on a double bill with LOTR.
    Quote Quote