VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Basically looking for some advice or guidance on how a look was achieved for an anime remaster I've seen online, apparently using AviSynth / VapourSynth.

Essentially, this is what the source material looks like:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sailormoon/comments/o8u2y8/most_dont_realize_that_dynit_italy...did_their_own/

This is the filtered look that I am trying to replicate.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sailormoon/comments/qvp4wy/heres_a_clip_of_ep_5_of_the_dic_dub_hd_edit_ive/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sailormoon/comments/qr3npd/thought_id_give_an_update_on_how_the_dic_dub_hd/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sailormoon/comments/qvr88o/just_for_fun_i_did_a_little_clover...y_dub_hd_edit/

I've spent the last few days experimenting with various AS/VS filters, and still can't come close. There are already a few threads on Sailor Moon on here with different suggested filters, but this is the first I've been genuinely impressed with - even if it looks a little over-done in places.

Obviously there's some fairly extreme colour correction going on, but the upscaling of the footage itself just looks so...clean and sharp, without wiping away any details. I can see from downloading the footage and looking at frame-by-frame, there's obviously been a line darkner applied over the source material. But no matter what upscaling or resizing filters I try (nnedi3, waifu2x, anime4kcpp, AWarpSharp, Hysteria, LSFmod, various temporal and spatial filters etc), in any order, it never looks close to this.

Trawling (stalking ) through the user's comments, they mention using AviSynth and VapourSynth to do the remastering - but haven't given any details when asked specifically how. Hence the challenge to reverse engineer it! I'm not necessarily looking to apply the same processing to Sailor Moon itself, but would love to know to achieve this sort of upscale and cleanup to try on other series.

Happy to provide a raw clip from the DVD if it helps - I own a physical copy of the box-set. Just wanted to see if anything jumped out to someone here from looking at the filtered footage first.
    Quote Quote  
  2. VSGAN with BSRGAN model, vsDPIR and may be RealESRGAN could probably all be used (there are probably others).
    (I'surprised Waifu2x doesn't work, I would have suspected that it should work.)
    If you share a short (not reencoded, just remuxed) sample of your source there are probably a few ways that work.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    This definitely does look like an AI upscale of some kind. Probably some pre- or post-processing, but it had that ESRGAN look to it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. That salior moon source looks pretty nice, and it hasn't even been resotred. You can always do some noise reduction and colour correcting to make it look better. Also, the look you are trying to achieve isn't the best as there is quite a lot of haloing present in most of the scenes.

Can you upload the video source you are working with onto videohelp
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks guys. Clip from the DVD here:
    https://mega.nz/file/BThAQZwL#3DyXWS-sHROjNPugaaj5Gx7CxLyt-nGwCMj4_VyNCMk

This is straight from the DVD, minus the audio tracks.

I tried playing around with a few different ESRGAN models via Cupscale, but again couldn't find any that came close to this. Any suggested go-to models? Downloading the demo of Topaz, it does look close to this, so I suspect that's what they might have used.

Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    Also, the look you are trying to achieve isn't the best as there is quite a lot of haloing present in most of the scenes.
    Agreed - it's a little too over-sharpened to the point that it needs to be de-halo'd. I'm just trying to get an idea of how I can get to something like this as a starting point.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Similar but not quite. I followed some of your previous suggestions in other threads - it was good advice.

It's the clean line-work that I'm trying to replicate. Every combo of AS/VS resizing and sharpening filters I've tried blows away the neat, dark lines.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Something like ESRGAN "digital frames" series models ?

v2.1
    [Attachment 61915 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  8. That looks pretty close!! Do you have a link? I can’t see it on the usual wiki page of ESRGAN models.
    Quote Quote  
  9. They used to be on there...

The DigitalFrames series is trained by NKMD
    https://nmkd.de/shared/ESRGAN/Models/Art/4x_DigitalFrames_2.1_Final.pth
    Quote Quote  
  10. Here are a few examples using Vapoursynth:
    (note that additional sharening, denoising, line darkening is still possible)

resized to 1920x1280:
    using stepped resize using NNEDI3 + aWarpSharp:
    Code:
    # Step 1: current: 720x480, target: 1328x880
    # resizing using NNEDI3CL
    clip = edi_rpow2.nnedi3cl_rpow2(clip=clip, rfactor=2) # 1440x960
    # sharpening using AWarpSharp2
    clip = core.warp.AWarpSharp2(clip=clip, depth=5)
    # Step 2: current: 1440x960, target: 1920x1280
    clip = edi_rpow2.nnedi3cl_rpow2(clip=clip, rfactor=2) # 2880x1920
    # adjusting resizing
    clip = core.fmtc.resample(clip=clip, w=1920, h=1280, kernel="lanczos", interlaced=False, interlacedd=False)

using Waifu2x:
    Code:
    # resizing using Waifu2x
    clip = core.w2xc.Waifu2x(clip=clip, scale=4, noise=3) # 2880x1920
    # adjusting resizing
    clip = core.fmtc.resample(clip=clip, w=1920, h=1280, kernel="lanczos", interlaced=False, interlacedd=False)

using Anime4KCPP:
    Code:
    clip = core.std.AddBorders(clip=clip, left=0, right=16, top=0, bottom=0) # add borders to archive mod 32 (vsAnime4KCPP) - 736x480
    # adjusting color space from YUV420P8 to YUV444P8 for vsAnime4KCPP
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV444P8, range_s="limited")
    # resizing using Anime4KCPP
    # Zoomfactor: 3 
    clip = core.anime4kcpp.Anime4KCPP(src=clip, zoomFactor=3, ACNet=1, GPUMode=1, HDN=1, HDNLevel=3) # 2208x1440
    clip = core.std.CropRel(clip=clip, left=0, right=48, top=0, bottom=0) # removing borders (vsAnime4KCPP) -  2160x1440
    # adjusting resizing

using SRMD:
    Code:
    # adjusting color space from YUV420P8 to RGBS for vsSRMD
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.RGBS, matrix_in_s="470bg", range_s="limited")
    # resizing using srmd
    clip = core.srmdnv.SRMD(clip=clip, scale=3, noise=5, tta=True) # 2160x1440
    # adjusting resizing

using RealSR:
    Code:
    # resizing using RealSR
    # target zoom factor: 3 adjusted to 4
    clip = core.rsnv.RealSR(clip=clip, scale=4, tta=True) # 2880x1920
    # adjusting resizing

using VSGAN with BSRGAN:
    Code:
    # resizing using VSGAN
    vsgan = VSGAN("cuda")
    model = "I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsgan_models/4x_BSRGAN.pth"
    vsgan.load_model(model)
    clip = vsgan.run(clip=clip) # 2880x1920
    # adjusting resizing
    using VSGAN + DigiFrames mentioned by poisendeathray:
    Code:
    from vsgan import VSGAN
    # adjusting color space from YUV420P8 to RGB24 for vsVSGAN
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.RGB24, matrix_in_s="470bg", range_s="limited")
    # resizing using VSGAN
    vsgan = VSGAN("cuda")
    model = "I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsgan_models/4x_DigitalFrames_2.1_Final.pth"
    vsgan.load_model(model)
    # adjusting resizing

using RealESRGAN:
    Code:
    # resizing using RealESRGAN
    clip = RealESRGAN(clip=clip, scale=4, anime=True, device_type="cuda", device_index=0, fp16=True) # 2880x1920
    # adjusting resizing

Nor resized just DPIR:
    Code:
    from vsdpir import DPIR
    # adjusting color space from YUV420P8 to RGBS for vsDPIRDenoise
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.RGBS, matrix_in_s="470bg", range_s="limited")
    # denoising using DPIRDenoise
    clip = DPIR(clip=clip, strength=5.000, device_index=0)

Cu Selur

Ps.: I would also use something like DeSpot() or similar to get rid of the scratch&noise.
    Last edited by Selur; 20th Nov 2021 at 04:18.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Why the Spline16? Why not nnedi3_rpow2 (last example)
    Last edited by rrats; 20th Nov 2021 at 04:10.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Why the Spline16?
    Spline16 is the default resize adjuster in Hybrid, any other fmtconv resizer could be used and the target was 1920x... which isn't evenly dividable by 720. So resize adjustments need to be made.

Why not nnedi3_rpow2?
    What's wrong with edi_rpow2.nnedi3cl_rpow2 from https://github.com/Selur/VapoursynthScriptsInHybrid/blob/master/edi_rpow2.py which uses the gpu?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Sorry, I've updated my comment
    Quote Quote  
  14. Ahh, okay, didn't want to add the resize, forgot I had resizing turned on.
    -> updated screenshot&code
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Toei uses their own remastering process called "FORS Master Process" for all their HD remaster(upscale) releases. For the most part it looks decent, no grains, clean lines. But you would know that it's an upscale just by looking at it because the images are still blurry.

If you're to remaster Sailor Moon yourself, it would be better to use AI upscale, like with Selur's comparison. The choice of which one to use still requires more testing, but that should be the right path to go. The bigger challenge though, is to color correct the show, which itself is a whole new territory and takes a lot of time and researches.

There are basically two approaches of color correction now, the first one is the old way of like white balance + RGB curve correction. The newer or more ideal way is to color match the frame to a reference, such as the original cel, this will gives you the most accurate and consistent color.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That first sample on reddit looks horribly warpsharpened. Like, really really bad, sorry.
    The other two are not as bad but still.

I like Selur's first example best (stepped resize using NNEDI3 + aWarpSharp) because it doesn't look fake, just slightly enhanced.
    Quote Quote  
  17. DigiFrames
    digiframes?
    Quote Quote  
  18. My attempt. It may not look very sharp, but it's close to original
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Here are a few examples using Vapoursynth:
    (note that additional sharening, denoising, line darkening is still possible)

resized to 1920x1280:
    using stepped resize using NNEDI3 + aWarpSharp:
    Code:
    # Step 1: current: 720x480, target: 1328x880
    clip = edi_rpow2.nnedi3cl_rpow2(clip=clip, rfactor=2) # 1440x960
    # sharpening using AWarpSharp2
    clip = core.warp.AWarpSharp2(clip=clip, depth=5)
    # Step 2: current: 1440x960, target: 1920x1280
    clip = edi_rpow2.nnedi3cl_rpow2(clip=clip, rfactor=2) # 2880x1920
    # adjusting resizing

using Waifu2x:
    Code:
    # resizing using Waifu2x
    clip = core.w2xc.Waifu2x(clip=clip, scale=4, noise=3) # 2880x1920
    # adjusting resizing

using Anime4KCPP:
    Code:
    clip = core.std.AddBorders(clip=clip, left=0, right=16, top=0, bottom=0) # add borders to archive mod 32 (vsAnime4KCPP) - 736x480
    # adjusting color space from YUV420P8 to YUV444P8 for vsAnime4KCPP
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV444P8, range_s="limited")
    # resizing using Anime4KCPP
    clip = core.anime4kcpp.Anime4KCPP(src=clip, zoomFactor=3, ACNet=1, GPUMode=1, HDN=1, HDNLevel=3) # 2208x1440
    clip = core.std.CropRel(clip=clip, left=0, right=48, top=0, bottom=0) # removing borders (vsAnime4KCPP) -  2160x1440
    # adjusting resizing

using SRMD:
    Code:
    # adjusting color space from YUV420P8 to RGBS for vsSRMD
    # resizing using srmd
    clip = core.srmdnv.SRMD(clip=clip, scale=3, noise=5, tta=True) # 2160x1440
    # adjusting resizing

using RealSR:
    Code:
    # resizing using RealSR
    # target zoom factor: 3 adjusted to 4
    clip = core.rsnv.RealSR(clip=clip, scale=4, tta=True) # 2880x1920
    # adjusting resizing

using VSGAN with BSRGAN:
    Code:
    # resizing using VSGAN
    vsgan = VSGAN("cuda")
    model = "I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsgan_models/4x_BSRGAN.pth"
    vsgan.load_model(model)
    # adjusting resizing
    using VSGAN + DigiFrames mentioned by poisendeathray:
    Code:
    from vsgan import VSGAN
    # adjusting color space from YUV420P8 to RGB24 for vsVSGAN
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.RGB24, matrix_in_s="470bg", range_s="limited")
    # resizing using VSGAN
    vsgan = VSGAN("cuda")
    model = "I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsgan_models/4x_DigitalFrames_2.1_Final.pth"
    vsgan.load_model(model)
    # adjusting resizing

using RealESRGAN:
    Code:
    # resizing using RealESRGAN
    clip = RealESRGAN(clip=clip, scale=4, anime=True, device_type="cuda", device_index=0, fp16=True) # 2880x1920
    # adjusting resizing

Nor resized just DPIR:
    Code:
    from vsdpir import DPIR
    # adjusting color space from YUV420P8 to RGBS for vsDPIRDenoise
    # denoising using DPIRDenoise
    clip = DPIR(clip=clip, strength=5.000, device_index=0)

Cu Selur

Ps.: I would also use something like DeSpot() or similar to get rid of the scratch&noise.
    This is fantastic - thank you for the comparison!!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    My attempt. It may not look very sharp, but it's close to original
    Looks great - how did you achieve these results?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    DigiFrames
    digiframes?
    DigitalFrames is a particular ESRGAN model.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by lonelysenshi View Post
    My attempt. It may not look very sharp, but it's close to original
    Looks great - how did you achieve these results?
    2x_LD-Anime_Skr_v1.0 and some colour correction in resolve
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    DigiFrames
    digiframes?
    DigitalFrames is a particular ESRGAN model.
    I can't seem to find it anywhere, can you link it to me
    Quote Quote  
  24. I can't seem to find it anywhere, can you link it to me
    a few posts before,.. -> https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/403809-Anime-re-mastering-how-to-achieve-a-particu...ok#post2637756
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thank you Selue, I have totally missed that post
    Quote Quote