VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Thread
  1. I done a search and downloaded Vob2mpg that doesn't recognize vob files.

    Another search has a string of different replies with different suggestions before a link here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/169081-How-to-convert-DVDs-back-to-MPG-files-for-r...thor-or-reedit

    Not being an expert on software functions, is there a single free program that might do extraction correctly?

    Complete name : C:\0\Movie1.vob
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 3.61 GiB
    Duration : 1 h 1 min
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 8 448 kb/s

    Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings : CustomMatrix / BVOP
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12
    Format settings, picture structure : Frame
    Duration : 1 h 1 min
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 8 056 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate : 8 500 kb/s
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.777
    Time code of first frame : 00:00:00:00
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    GOP, Open/Closed : Open
    GOP, Open/Closed of first frame : Closed
    Stream size : 3.44 GiB (95%)
    Color primaries : BT.601 PAL
    Transfer characteristics : BT.470 System B/G
    Matrix coefficients : BT.470 System B/G

    Audio
    ID : 192 (0xC0)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Duration : 1 h 1 min
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 224 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 41.667 FPS (1152 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 97.9 MiB (3%)
    Last edited by Sandfly; 17th Nov 2021 at 21:59.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    My guess is that apps are having difficulty because the file is divorced from its normal structure. It isn't the original name, it probably is a goofy concatenation of the underlying original vobs (all of which each have a max filesize of 1GB).

    Try demuxing to raw and then remux, using ffmpeg. It might be more forgiving, or capable of correcting.


    Scott

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. The normal Movies I have seen are in 1G vob files, all of what you have suggested would be about right.
    I only tried Vob2mpg before coming back for advice.

    Is there a losses option if vob was split into 1G segments using Lossless Cut or SMMVSplitter?

    Just to note I have only tried vob2mpg and came to ask which program to try?
    Not wanting to download a heap of programs that may or may not work!

    My thinking was the detailed info about vob file might make it easier to choose the best software to try first?


    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    My guess is that apps are having difficulty because the file is divorced from its normal structure. It isn't the original name, it probably is a goofy concatenation of the underlying original vobs (all of which each have a max filesize of 1GB).

    Try demuxing to raw and then remux, using ffmpeg. It might be more forgiving, or capable of correcting.


    Scott

    Scott
    Last edited by Sandfly; 17th Nov 2021 at 21:57.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Just to note I have only tried vob2mpg and came to ask which program to try?
    Not wanting to download a heap of programs that may or may not work!
    Unless you post the file for us to experiment with (not possible directly as the forum has a smaller file size limit, but could be done via Google Drive), then you are going to have to do the experimenting yourself.

    Try DVDVOB2MPG.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks Mate,

    I will try DVDVob2Mpg.
    If it fails I will load in AE and save to mp4.

    The expert who made this file. what the


    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Just to note I have only tried vob2mpg and came to ask which program to try?
    Not wanting to download a heap of programs that may or may not work!
    Unless you post the file for us to experiment with (not possible directly as the forum has a smaller file size limit, but could be done via Google Drive), then you are going to have to do the experimenting yourself.

    Try DVDVOB2MPG.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Sandfly View Post
    I done a search and downloaded Vob2mpg that doesn't recognize vob files.
    It needs the IFO files. VOB files aren't meant to be used alone they are only a part of the DVD structure. Leave the entire IFO/BUP/VOB structure intact to use VOB2MPG.

    Sometimes a VOB will work alone -- it's basically an MPG program stream with additional bits. You might even get away with simply renaming it .MPG.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    The program ran, result are garbled and glitchy in 4 different players, SMPlayer being best with issues.

    Saving with AE Aftercodec HEVC x265 mp4, I will keep low compression to retain full quality.
    Video is 60minutes.

    Never done this before and thinking it might be best to split into a few sections?

    What do you think, perhaps 2x 30min, 3x 20min could be the go?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Obsolete
    Last edited by Sandfly; 18th Nov 2021 at 04:41.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    You can use Avidemux to copy the MPEG2 video and one audio track to an mpg file. I think it uses ffmpeg.

    1. Open the VOB file.
    2. Select "Audio" from the Menu bar and choose the audio track that you want to use for your mpg file.
    3. Set both "Video Output" and "Audio Output" to "Copy".
    4. Set Output Format to "MPEG-PS Muxer (ff)". Click "Configure" for Output Format and select "DVD".
    5. Select File->Save" in the Menu bar then choose where to save the file and type the name of the mpg file. (The VOB file's beginning and end should be pre-selected.)
    6. Click the "Save" button

    If audio and video are not in sync in the mpg file, you can try to fix that by starting over and using the "Shift" setting under "Audio". This may take some trial and error.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Nov 2021 at 23:57.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have Avidemux installed, will give it a go.

    Now see the video could be improved with deinterlace and Neat Video I will also work on the mp4 option.
    There are two aspects of concern, the main one being having to save to Lagarith if requiring several runs.
    The second being a very large mp4 for low power PC's.

    Hence the idea of splitting.

    Work on your suggestion for faster solution.

    Cheers

    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    You can use Avidemux to copy the MPEG2 video and one audio track to an mpg file. I think it uses ffmpeg.

    1. Open the VOB file.
    2. Select "Audio" from the Menu bar and choose the audio track that you want to use for your mpg file.
    3. Set both "Video Output" and "Audio Output" to "Copy".
    4. Set Output Format to "MPEG-PS Muxer (ff)". Click "Configure" for Output Format and select "DVD".
    5. Select File->Save" in the Menu bar then choose where to save the file and type the name of the mpg file. (The VOB file's beginning and end should be pre-selected.)
    6. Click the "Save" button

    If audio and video are not in sync in the mpg file, you can try to fix that by starting over and using the "Shift" setting under "Audio". This may take some trial and error.
    Quote Quote  
  11. No, the resulting mpg file is still only playing in SMPlayer.

    Going to save in 4x mp4 sections.
    This way the working file will be smaller.
    Can always join for single or 2x mp4 based on results.

    Thanks for all the advice.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Use clever Ffmpeg-GUI.
    Load you vob, click main, click multiplex, select mpg as container, click multiplex. DONE.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Out of whats been tried, clever Ffmpeg-GUI has had the best result.

    Similarly working in SMPlayer, and Windows player with hick ups.
    The file has problems, but the 60min 3.6Gig size is also contributing.


    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Use clever Ffmpeg-GUI.
    Load you vob, click main, click multiplex, select mpg as container, click multiplex. DONE.
    Quote Quote  
  14. If the vob came from an unprotected DVD, you could rerip the movie with clever Ffmpeg-GUI to avoid glitches
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    If the vob came from an unprotected DVD, you could rerip the movie with clever Ffmpeg-GUI to avoid glitches
    Saving to Lagarith ATM, will keep the rerip in mind if needed.

    On another subject, when I view mpg footage in player there is clear interlacing seen across text and to lesser extent in moving content.

    Once I load vob in AE there is no interlacing to be found in the editing screen, even when multiplied to 300%.

    Any idea why it is viewable in players but not in AE edit window?
    Is this just the result of player and format.
    From vob in AE, there is no interlacing seen?

    info above:
    Originally Posted by Sandfly View Post
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Last edited by Sandfly; 18th Nov 2021 at 04:47.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Sandfly View Post
    On another subject, when I view mpg footage in player there is clear interlacing seen across text and to lesser extent in moving content.
    Once I load vob in AE there is no interlacing to be found in the editing screen, even when multiplied to 300%.
    Maybe AE has an deinterlacing filter activated.
    Try to activate an deinterlacing filter in your player too.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Maybe AE has an deinterlacing filter activated.
    Try to activate an deinterlacing filter in your player too.
    Must be?
    When I tried to deinterlace in AE it made the image less sharp.
    So far have not tried to save, just waited for your reply!

    I will make a Lagarith avi and see if the interlacing comes back.
    Quote Quote  
  18. It all depends on what you want to do with the video.
    Do you want to play it on the computer or on the TV?
    Is the interlacing noticeable on the TV or not?
    If you need it for the TV and the interlacing is not visible there, then a simple remux from vob to mpg is the best choice, because you have no quality loss.
    If you need the video for the computer and the interlacing bothers you, then a recoding with deinterlacing with a better codec (avc or hevc) is the best choice.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Intended to be watched with PC.

    I just saved 1/4 (15min) with AE to Lagarith avi, no de-interlace was used.
    In Media Encoder, changed Aspect to Square, Field order to Progressive.
    The resulting Lagarith avi has no interlacing problem seen on screen.
    7.94GB. Just calling it a win.
    Last edited by Sandfly; 18th Nov 2021 at 17:46.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    It all depends on what you want to do with the video.
    Do you want to play it on the computer or on the TV?
    Is the interlacing noticeable on the TV or not?
    If you need it for the TV and the interlacing is not visible there, then a simple remux from vob to mpg is the best choice, because you have no quality loss.
    If you need the video for the computer and the interlacing bothers you, then a recoding with deinterlacing with a better codec (avc or hevc) is the best choice.
    Best advice here bud. From what I've read in this post your best option may be to deinterlace and encode using x264 in an mp4 container.
    Use a crf of 16 to 18 and you won't visually tell the difference. And your file will be much smaller than with Lagarith. Prreserve the original for archiving.
    Quote Quote  
  21. As we know: The problem is vob files should not be 3.6 GB in size.
    Normally limited to 1GB with other files.

    An exacerbating problem, could have been the Display aspect ratio of 16:9
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels

    Video Settings: Changed Aspect to Square, Field order to Progressive.
    This Corrected Display Aspect Ratio to 5:4
    Circles and Squares are in shape!

    Saving 4x 15min segments with Premier to Lagarith avi
    Interlacing problems were not found in segments.
    No idea why, but donít look a gift horse in mouth.
    Sound has remained in sync.

    Now I have corrected Lossless 8GB segments for processing.
    All suggestionsí were good, the material was the problem

    Thanks
    Last edited by Sandfly; 18th Nov 2021 at 20:00.
    Quote Quote  
  22. When I ran winxp, win8. I renamed the file extension to .mpg and it played in WMP and burned DVD-R.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member Seeker47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Just to note I have only tried vob2mpg and came to ask which program to try?
    Not wanting to download a heap of programs that may or may not work!
    Unless you post the file for us to experiment with (not possible directly as the forum has a smaller file size limit, but could be done via Google Drive), then you are going to have to do the experimenting yourself.

    Try DVDVOB2MPG.
    Maybe my usage of this is a lot more primitive than some situations others are encountering, but I'm using this tool quite regularly, and I can't recall an instance where it has failed me. I get an MPEG2 file result that is sort of your lowest common denominator, in terms of widest possible playback compatibility. Everything plays it.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Sandfly View Post
    As we know: The problem is vob files should not be 3.6 GB in size.
    Normally limited to 1GB with other files.
    No. Only DVD movie discs require VOB file to be less than 1 GB. Other than that VOB files are MPEG program stream files and are not limited to 1 GB.

    Originally Posted by Sandfly View Post
    An exacerbating problem, could have been the Display aspect ratio of 16:9
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels

    Video Settings: Changed Aspect to Square, Field order to Progressive.
    This Corrected Display Aspect Ratio to 5:4
    Circles and Squares are in shape!
    DVD VOB files cannot be 5:4 DAR. The DVD spec only supports 4:3 and 16:9 DAR. I suspect your VOB files are flagged 16:9 but really contain 4:3 content. Some recorders may do that because many people don't like seeing black pillarbox bars -- they want the picture to fill the screen of their 16:9 TVs.

    Originally Posted by Sandfly View Post
    Saving 4x 15min segments with Premier to Lagarith avi
    Interlacing problems were not found in segments.
    No idea why, but donít look a gift horse in mouth.
    It is very common for PAL DVD files to be encoded interlaced but to contain progressive frames.

    Basically, everything you think you know about DVD VOB is incorrect.
    Quote Quote